Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Thefts on Watchdog tonight

I suspect it's new ECU's, they do refer to the post 21 models as having enhanced security hardware so I think it's probably a terminology issue.  That would also explain why the solution is applicable to multiple models, whereas some form of mechanical protection would likely need to be bespoke for each model.

Yes, by security hardware, I’m reading this to mean a new “box of tricks” is being added to the car to encrypt the Canbus network. If so, this is great news. Hopefully the crooks will get the message fairly quickly not to bother damaging the wheel arch any more once they know all cars are being recalled

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dippo said:

The Lexus response talks about 'security hardware'. To me, this sounds like more plates restricting access, rather than enhancements to the canbus security system, which I would call software.

I don't know for sure (have a call booked with my dealer tomorrow) but I think its more likely to be the immobiliser Lexus insurance fit as part of their offering or a version if it.

🤞

On 3/13/2024 at 9:12 AM, Brian R said:

or could they afford to bow out gracefully?

That won't be happening. The UK is one of the most lucrative 'foreign markets' for most of the car makers of the world. If Lexus were a standalone brand without Toyota, Toyota parts and dealers network, they it might be different - and on top of that, if trends were going down in the UK, they might consider it. But as it is today, that's a far fetched idea. 

Lexus and the recent security issues across many brands of car, especially high end and rare cars, aren't exclusive to Lexus. Whilst they (all) need to pull the finger out and find a solution, I don't see how Lexus is any worse than Land Rover, or any other high end brand we're reading a lot of scare stories about

Booked the ES in at Nottingham Lexus for the work to be done. Fingers crossed that it does the job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DTR said:

Booked the ES in at Nottingham Lexus for the work to be done. Fingers crossed that it does the job.

The article says they won't be letting the dealers know what to do until April?

22 hours ago, DTR said:

Please come back to us with what your dealer have offered. I’ve emailed my dealer today… LC here.

Already got tracker and immobiliser on mine but as I’ve said previously until every car is protected our bumpers are still at risk !

This statement from Lexus resulting from the BBC article could be very positive news.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eightk said:

This statement from Lexus resulting from the BBC article could be very positive news.

......I only hope the "developers" of the Link App are kept away from this project.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 3/15/2024 at 2:47 PM, DavidCM said:

......I only hope the "developers" of the Link App are kept away from this project.

Amen to that brother!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just spoke to Lexus and been told the hardware solution (not the plates, and whatever it is, could be a software update) is due sometime in May. They don't know details of what will be updated/changed, neither do Lexus UK (or whomever the dealership spoke to on their Lexus network). 

I've started a new job, so travelling down south just went from once a month to daily!

Just hoping the roll-out is fast and is done as a recall so everyone gets done, and then the baddies won't be able to play pot luck with us, as all cars will be done.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links