Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Selling an LC

The time has come for me to move my LC on - 2+ years later and less than <4k in miles.

Does anyone have and ideas on the best way to sell these?. Looking at other options including WBAC are a little eye watering although Motorway and CarWow - I can accept the estimate but I really dont know how realistic their estimate is versus the actual offers.

I suspect I could be offering the lowest price LC available if I went down the private ad, auto trader route and although I am in no rush to sell - I'd rather it not sit on AT for weeks - I just don't know if AT private ad is the right route for an LC - am I going to get a cash buyer come along?

Are you planning on replacing it directly, or looking to just move on for now?

If it's the former look at PX with cash +/- from a main dealer/  (I did this with mine vs a Supra)

I'd definetely see if Lexus will offer you a decent price for it.  (If they are still interested in buying them in for stock)

Have you looked at the Lexus web site and auto traded to see what they are up for, that may give you some idea

Hey Brett

I am looking at replacing it - I have always avoided PX because the values are always so low but I had been considering it this time for convenience. I contacted Lexus Leeds as they have some history of the car and me so will see if they come back with. 

You get crazy low valuations on WBAC etc but retail prices are all above 40k right now - I think the lowest is 42 at the moment. Maybe I just need to give the Carwow/motorway a shot...

1 minute ago, wendle said:

Have you looked at the Lexus web site and auto traded to see what they are up for, that may give you some idea

They are all > 42k. 

that doesn't seem a bad drop for a 6 years old car, just under 50%, i have cars that have only been 3 years old and have lost 50%, i know that's what they are up for, how much they sell for may be a different matter.

I really feel that Lexus Relax warranty should benefit used sales better including private sales but I very rarely see private sales up and none of the trade ads state "remainder of 10 year warranty".

I also wonder if the potential LC buyer regardless of peace of mind of Lexus Relax prefers a non-private sale process which is a shame but then maybe now they are getting to ~40k we will see new buyers coming in - possibly willing to consider private sales.

• Like 2

I agree the scope for fraud/being endlessly dicked about is bigger with more expensive items, so there is an element of being willing to take a hit for a lot less risk/grief - but not a WBAC type hit! 

You are right - although at least the LC might attract a different buyer. When I sold my C63 in 2021 - the experience was actually in the end positive however I was so cautious the buyer began to get frustrated with me! Mind you he said he was coming with his pregnant wife - when I met them in a supermarket car park his mate got out which didn't help. I wouldn't let both of them in the car when I went for the drive and only I was driving! I took photos of both their licences and questioned everything ! lol I wasnt even keen on them coming back to the house to get the V5. I remember the guy saying I drove the C63 so nicely compared to all his other experiences when looking! 

The amount of looks we got at the back of the car park too - the guys were middle eastern - I was there with the C63 looking decidedly anxious - it must have looked like some deal going down!

The one thing they were reluctant on - confirming the mileage to DVLA online during the ownership switchover - I dont know why but there you go.

Personally, I'll take the hit every time, rather than entertain the risk and potential aggro of selling privately. Each to their own though.

When I sold my Quadrifoglio a couple of years ago, I looked at some of the high end dealers that already had one for sale as it showed it was the type of car they were interested in. I then contacted one of them directly (Redline, who as it turns out had just sold the one I saw advertised, so were keen to get another in) and quickly agreed a deal that we were both happy with. They collected the car a couple of days later - couldn't have been quicker or less hassle.

The only potential problem with the LC that I can see is that some dealers may not want it as it may be perceived as a car that could sit around for a long while before a buyer comes along.

You really need someone on the Lexus owners club to want one, then it should go smoothly, I sold my RC-F to a member and every went fine.

We had a very positive experience with Motorway. It was a completely different sort of car to your LC, but the interactions were efficient and professional. A dealer from Lancashire turned up and after a 1.5 mile test drive to check the clutch, paid the money electronically and loaded it onto his truck. It all felt very safe, though we did check the dealer reviews on multiple websites to see how they were rated.

When (if) I come to shift my RCF, I will certainly get a quote from them.

I am going to try Motorway - I haven't done any photos yet.

re. Redline - actually I contacted one of their nearby competitors yesterday who recently sold had a LC as they are not far from me and given the conversation discussing WBAC estimate vs motorway vs market and that I was realistic I thought we were on to something till they sent me a text last night offering around the same price as WBAC and for which they had already said was too low! They pretty much said they would put a car up like this at the 43k mark.

I should know better that its always like this regardless of the car really.

Get some pics up here - you never know - selling to someone who 'gets' these cars already would make it easy. Pistonheads could be a possibility too.

It doesn’t happen to be a White exterior, Red interior with Sport Plus (+HUD and ML) by any chance? I’m in the long process of waiting for the right ad to pop up as there aren’t any considerable choices on Autotrader etc  

FWIW, I sold a couple of cars through Motorway and got significantly more than the original estimate.

They imply that once you start the process you are committed to sell through them but that's obviously not true so you can back out if you don't get what you want.

The only thing I didn't like is that on the second occasion they demanded un-redacted pictures of my license and V5.

@HM48 - No it isnt. Most of the white I see are roadsters.

Once I get an hours I will grab some new photos, here are some from last year and also a few from when I picked it up

20220506_093407.jpg

20220507_162307.jpg

20220506_093402.jpg

IMG-20230531-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230531-WA0008 (1).jpg

• Like 2

Ad is listed in the for sale section now - realistically priced for anyone who wants to get into an LC at 39995

• Like 1

IIRC you had a thread on Pistonheads about this car too?

Might be worth bumping that and mentioning it's up for sale too.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes and given my reason for creating this thread in the first place it would seem logical to conclude - I nearly put it up with a Motorway auction but that got put on hold due the DVLA reg transfer so I made various enquiries around the dealers and some non-dealers. My local dealer never came back to me, most of the others did but you will find the offers are inconsistent. I took a fair and not unreasonable offer and probably about near the highest trade offer from a buyer for Listers who have some Lexus dealerships - in fact they were one of the first I spoke to and their buyer was extremely professional, fair and was happy to wait for the reg to come back, was happy to accept it with 3weeks MOT said they would send an appraiser who was equally as professional, didn't say a word as I rambled on when they came to check the car and then confirmed yes it was sound - it pretty much sailed through with flying colours and was collected last week.

I could have waited an maybe eeeked out an extra 1000-1500, but at what expense who knows.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links