Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking about leasing a premium plus , thoughts

Hello all

thinking about leasing a RZ450e premium + though a salary sacrifice scheme, never thought about a Lexus , but it’s comparatively cheap for some reason (cheaper to lease this than a vw ID3 !)

Had a test drive over the weekend (dealership were terrible which was a surprise), quite liked the car, felt fast enough and had a nice premium feel to it , the only thing putting me off is reviews tend to be pretty negative, but I think this is mainly due to range.

if you have one do you like it or regret purchasing ?

Most of the time range won’t be an issue as I only do about 100 - 150 miles a week, however every few months I might do a 200 mile trip, what’s the range actually like ? Is it like a petrol where you get better efficiency on a motorway ?

any views appreciated 

Thanks

Toby

15 minutes ago, Ybotc said:

Is it like a petrol where you get better efficiency on a motorway ?

No, EVs are the opposite - they are efficient at low speed but are worse at high speed due to wind resistance.

• Like 2

As you’re leasing then the residual won’t be of any concern - if your primarily doing only 150 miles a week then range isn’t a concern. Will you have a home charger - if so, then the RZ will be a great car providing the lease payments are competitive. 
The recent software update (which a new car will have) have improved the range drop in using the ac / heating so a lot of the early reviews and particularly the What Car review are not as relevant. 
As a buyer rather than a leaser’ I very much regret getting an EV when I did - I wouldn’t if getting one now !

If you keep to about 60 - 65 on a motorway you may squeeze 200 miles without a charging stop. Charging is fairly rapid, actual world on a 150kw charger really is less than 30 minutes from 20% to 80%. You’ll read a lot about cars having say 250kw charge capacity but the overall average over a charge is always far below that so the actual time saved is say maybe 10 mins. 

For your mileage I would say if you want to go full EV (no doubt tax will be a major consideration on a company car) then the RZ would be a good car. 

• Like 7

Thanks really helpful, the salary sacrifice deal is pretty good, comes with charger, insurance, maintenance , 4000 free miles and will cost me about £500 a month, Lexus must be giving massive discounts as this is cheaper than an ID3 through the scheme.

feel a bit in two minds about an EV wouldnt buy one but happy to lease.

however I have specced with a towbar and Lexus appear to be saying that can’t get one with a towbar any more !!!

I’m guessing the massive discounts are because Lexus just can’t shift them. The media have not been kind to the RZ. I’m a Lexus fan and don’t normally listen to these type of reviews, but looking at the feed back on here and trying one for a day recently, I’m afraid it’s just not a competitive proposition, compared to the competition. However if they are cheaper than an ID3 on a lease, then I think it’s a good car at that price point. 

We have left the brand for our EV and have  gone down the Genesis GV70 route. In my opinion,  as a like for like comparison with the RZ450e, there is no completion and it beats the RZ in most areas (apart from the sound system), especially on the EV side of things.  Its charging curve is extremely good and for us, 10 minutes is a long time extra to be waiting.  I don’t think that Genesis have sold many GV70s, which is a shame (but a bonus for us as it’s super rare ), I guess people don’t have confidence in the brand, so there may be deals on a lease too.  We have a tow bar fitted to ours as well. 

• 1 month later...

Been a member here for ages but not been on in a while (although I still have my IS200!) - similar to the OP I'm thinking of leasing one of these as I'm looking for a cost effective daily and the lease deals on these seem great at the moment!

Borrowed one for a few hours on Saturday and the car was actually very nice - I'm aware the range isn't great and it seems charging speeds are also a bit questionable but I don't do many long journeys and will charge at home so these aren't the biggest issue for me. The car itself is a lovely place to be which was great (compared to a Merc EQC and Tesla Model Y which I also tried).

Does anyone know if these are affected by the Canbus thefts? The dealer said the new cars are not, and can't find any references online, however the car I tested (which was the dealer principal's own car) had a steering lock in the rear and had been set up so the car didn't start unless you held the key up to the start button (which didn't fill me with confidence!)

On 3/25/2024 at 6:00 PM, F.A. said:

We have left the brand for our EV and have  gone down the Genesis GV70 route. In my opinion,  as a like for like comparison with the RZ450e, there is no completion and it beats the RZ in most areas (apart from the sound system), especially on the EV side of things.  Its charging curve is extremely good and for us, 10 minutes is a long time extra to be waiting.  I don’t think that Genesis have sold many GV70s, which is a shame (but a bonus for us as it’s super rare ), I guess people don’t have confidence in the brand, so there may be deals on a lease too.  We have a tow bar fitted to ours as well. 

Interestingly I have been considering a GV70, the lease prices are a bit higher but not enough to make a huge difference - how have you found it? They've been a bit of a nightmare to arrange a test drive with which doesn't bode well for customer service but sitting in one at Westfield over the weekend it has an incredible interior that really feels quite special, something rare in modern cars.

How have you found it overall?

3 hours ago, Parthiban said:

Been a member here for ages but not been on in a while (although I still have my IS200!) - similar to the OP I'm thinking of leasing one of these as I'm looking for a cost effective daily and the lease deals on these seem great at the moment!

Borrowed one for a few hours on Saturday and the car was actually very nice - I'm aware the range isn't great and it seems charging speeds are also a bit questionable but I don't do many long journeys and will charge at home so these aren't the biggest issue for me. The car itself is a lovely place to be which was great (compared to a Merc EQC and Tesla Model Y which I also tried).

Does anyone know if these are affected by the Canbus thefts? The dealer said the new cars are not, and can't find any references online, however the car I tested (which was the dealer principal's own car) had a steering lock in the rear and had been set up so the car didn't start unless you held the key up to the start button (which didn't fill me with confidence!)

Interestingly I have been considering a GV70, the lease prices are a bit higher but not enough to make a huge difference - how have you found it? They've been a bit of a nightmare to arrange a test drive with which doesn't bode well for customer service but sitting in one at Westfield over the weekend it has an incredible interior that really feels quite special, something rare in modern cars.

How have you found it overall?

Hi  Parthiban, I remember you and your IS200 from back in the day!

The car has been fantastic. 
I can’t fault the  EV side of things. It’s almost like it’s a generation ahead of the RZ450e. We get 200 miles comfortably on the motorway and around 220-230 miles around town in the current coldish temperatures, just driving like a normal car and not hanging around. We also don’t turn the HVAC off either. We rarely charge away from home or the business but when we do, it charges before we are ready to leave the services. 
It’s beautifully built inside and out, and in my opinion better finished than the RZ. It genuinely feels special  and is super rare, which sparks up loads of conversations when out and about. 
There is a BUT, and that’s the customer service as you have realised, which is rubbish. It was fantastic when you had a Genesis PA but it sounds like they all have been sacked at the start of the year, now that Genesis are restructuring and being merged with Hyundai. Such a shame really as it genuinely is a fantastic car. Simply ordering a windscreen wiper takes 1 week ( although now that I have a part number , I can get one online). Our rear bumper got cracked in a minor knock from another car and it’s been a nightmare sourcing a part.  Would I buy another, yes because the car is that good and Lexus don’t currently offer anything which would replace it and I’m not one to follow the masses, but just be prepared to be patient with the customer service. 

Hi there, nice to see there are a few old faces still about!

That's interesting re: perspective as an EV - that's what reviews have suggested too so useful that they tie up, and that range sounds a lot better. Was definitely alarmed jumping in the Lexus with three quarter Battery showing 115 miles range remaining which didn't seem great at all. Really disappointing about customer service, hope that improves!

The main thing I've been struggling with EVs is the harsh ride comfort (particularly the Model Y), does the Genesis ride well?

10 minutes ago, Parthiban said:

Hi there, nice to see there are a few old faces still about!

That's interesting re: perspective as an EV - that's what reviews have suggested too so useful that they tie up, and that range sounds a lot better. Was definitely alarmed jumping in the Lexus with three quarter battery showing 115 miles range remaining which didn't seem great at all. Really disappointing about customer service, hope that improves!

The main thing I've been struggling with EVs is the harsh ride comfort (particularly the Model Y), does the Genesis ride well?

Yes no complaints about the ride . It has adaptive dampers which use a camera to adjust to the road. Works well in general. We have the 20inch wheels too which made little difference to the standard 19s on the car we test drove. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links