Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Playing music files from a USB stick

Afternoon all, I've a 2017 (67) LC500 which I'm struggling to get any of my USB drives working with.

I've tried a 256GB (exfat formatted) the light comes on briefly to show it has power, but doesn't show up as an option on the media selection screen.

I've also had no joy with a 64GB (ntfs formatted) 128GB (exfat formatted) Same thing happened.

Doesn't appear to be anything in the manual about this, the same sticks work fine in my other car, I must be doing something daft here, what works for you guys?

2 hours ago, IronLizard said:

Afternoon all, I've a 2017 (67) LC500 which I'm struggling to get any of my USB drives working with.

I've tried a 256GB (exfat formatted) the light comes on briefly to show it has power, but doesn't show up as an option on the media selection screen.

I've also had no joy with a 64GB (ntfs formatted) 128GB (exfat formatted) Same thing happened.

Doesn't appear to be anything in the manual about this, the same sticks work fine in my other car, I must be doing something daft here, what works for you guys?

Our 2015 NX will play 128GB formatted with fat32.  I suspect it's the filesystem type that is preventing it playing.

Modern versions of windows can't format fat32 in large filesystems so you need a third party program.

Paul

• Like 1

I'm not certain on this,but my 2020 RC system only accepted a 32gb stick when updating the nav.system..I guess the same will apply to audio.

4 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

I'm not certain on this,but my 2020 RC system only accepted a 32gb stick when updating the nav.system..I guess the same will apply to audio.

Interesting.  My only two data points are that 128GB works on a 2015 NX and a 2021 RX.  Never tried in an RC.

I know the MM21 system in the new cars has an upper limit of 32GB (progress?), but MM13/15/17/19 should do more.  All need to be FAT32 though.

David - is it possible you had a 32GB stick formatted as FAT32, but larger ones with something else?

Format it as FAT32, exFAT probably won't work. I use a 128GB mini USB stick for my music and it works without problems: I keep everything uncompressed (WAV) for best audio quality.

I bought the car about 3 yrs ago and downloaded the Lexus update to update the nav system (MM 19).At the first attempt,I used a 64gb stick and it wouldn't work.Then I read the manual (I know..RTFM) and used a 32 GB stick formatted to Fat32 and it worked.I would assume that the system can only accommodate a 32 GB stick.... whether for map updates,or music storage.

It's really simpler to use your phone as a storage medium.

This is what I use and it works well: 128G SanDisk USB stick. Can't remember if I had to reformat as FAT32, or if it came as FAT32 (the Nav manual does say only FAT16/32 are supported, but only FAT32 supports the large size you need). I have a 2023 LC, don't know if anything changed since earlier models.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07855LJ99

On 3/25/2024 at 7:52 PM, PDM said:

Our 2015 NX will play 128GB formatted with fat32.  I suspect it's the filesystem type that is preventing it playing.

Modern versions of windows can't format fat32 in large filesystems so you need a third party program.

Paul

Bingo, I took the 256GB stick, moved contents to PC, formatted the stick with FAT32, copied it all back, works fine now.

Thanks 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sbrlx said:

Format it as FAT32, exFAT probably won't work. I use a 128GB mini USB stick for my music and it works without problems: I keep everything uncompressed (WAV) for best audio quality.

I've got a lot of FLAC music, had to trim down the library of a load of bits as it said "gathering information on the device" And I thought if it's going to analyse the lot it's probably best to!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not particularly tech savvy. I have a new memory stick and loaded music onto it that wouldn't play in the LC. I had left the format as it came which was exFat. Having read this thread I thought I needed to format to FAT32, but it doesn't give me that option. The only other option is NTFS, which I tried and also doesn't work. Any ideas?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links