Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Charging the battery via the cigarette lighter socket

Hello all,

I'm due to pick up my SC 430 tomorrow and would be grateful for some advice on whether my solar Battery charger would work via the cigarette lighter socket. The charger has the relevant plug for this socket, but not an OBD plug. I did see a previous thread that suggested this socket might be isolated when the ignition is off but couldn't see a definitive answer.

If anyone knows if this approach would work, and if there are any downsides, please could you let me know.

Many thanks,

Jamie

5 hours ago, Jamie Brookes said:

I did see a previous thread that suggested this socket might be isolated when the ignition is off but couldn't see a definitive answer.

I think you’ll find that the power outlet (as it’s now known!) is only live when the engine switch is in Accessory or Ignition On mode.

If you don’t have an OBD connector then you’ll probably need to use crocodile clips to connect directly to the Battery.

• Like 1

The OBD port definitely has a live connection to the Battery as I originally connected my solar panel using that connection.  It is a bit of a fiddle to keep plugging it in though as it is not in the best position. I did this in October last year and I found the panel didn't get enough sun inside the windscreen due to a combination of lack of day light hours and loss of light through the windscreen. Mine is now on the outside of the car and it now works very well and keeps the Battery fully charged despite the voltage drain on the car. The panel is quite large being 40W.

Hi I purchased this solar panel and controller, for my SC430 in 2019 for £48.19 fro amazon. It is mounted on my garage roof and has worked very well....I have run the wires down to the Battery from the roof.
ECO-WORTHY 25W 12V Monocrystalline Solar Panel Kit with Solar Charge Controller: 25W Solar Panel + SAE Connection Cable +10A
ECO-WORTHY
ECO-WORTHY 25W 12V Monocrystalline Solar Panel Kit with Solar Charge Controller: 25W Solar Panel + SAE Connection Cable +10A Controller for Boat RV 12V Deep Cycle Battery Chicken Coop Gate OpenerECO-WORTHY 25W 12V Monocrystalline Solar Panel Kit with Solar Charge Controller: 25W Solar Panel + SAE Connection Cable +10A Controller for Boat RV 12V Deep Cycle Battery Chicken Coop Gate Opener
Monocrystalline Silicon·52.1L x 36.6W x 1.8H centimetres·25W Basic Solar Panel Kit
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links