Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New owner looking for advice/watchouts

hi, I've just purchased a 2011 Lexus RX450H with 90,000 miles on the clock. my farther in law has one with over 150000 on the clock and has had no issues but that is in South Africa which is a total different environment.

So i was hoping i could get some advice on anything that is a must have to get done in terms of repairs/replacements for this age and milage and anything that is common issues people have experienced. really hoping to get a few good years out of this car

thanks in advance 

Worth checking track rod bushings.  They tend to split due to weight of vehicle from surprisingly low mileages (my first one was done at 30K miles and another is due shortly at 45K miles).  Check underside, especially rear sub-frame for corrosion.  Many aren't treated and really ought to be.  A wire brushing and clean up followed by liberally spraying in lanoguard is a good idea (goes for all the chassis metalwork).  Rubber seals around door openings can crack or perish with age unless kept clean.  Best cleaned with mild soapy water then using a finger, run some silicon grease around them all which keeps them nice and supple.  Check water pump for leaks as this could be an issue on earlier ones, and check variable valve (timing) oil feed pipe as some can weep from the joint.  Other than that, very little goes wrong. It's one of the most reliable engines going. Lexus can offer a hybrid health check for a minimal sum or it's included if you have the car serviced with them.  Check tyre wear for uneven wear which may point to a wheel alignment issue as sometimes owners don't bother with periodic alignment checks and adjustments.  Check all electrics work properly and front/rear lights for signs of condensation.  Great cars, hope you enjoy yours.

I have a 2009 450H at 124,000 miles.  Has been a great car. Only 'major' failure was a replacement heater fan under the used warranty.  It does leak water somewhat - around the windscreen causes the brake light relay to fail every few years, plus some leaks into the boot.  Not really worth fixing.  Just had some MoT advisories on the front suspension arm ball joints but thankfully the arms themselves seem to be ok. Replaced both antiroll bar drop links following MoT failure.  All seems reasonable given I live in an area obsessed by speed bumps. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links