I have a metallic rattling noise when accelerating - sounds like a loose baffle or something - I think it might be a loose heat shield

Has anyone come across this on a GS300-2, and does anyone know of a cure??

I had the same problem when I bought my GS 8mths ago, heat shield was loose and rusty..............the fellas at my garage (independant) undid it and removed....they did show me it, I have to say that I was surprised at the state of it considering it is ~4 yrs old and a lux car :blink:

Never replaced it though......................should I??? :unsure:

i have had the same in my old Windom and now the GS rod.

pretty common and sounds horrible

Could this be the same rattle that I asked about? (Rattle down below)

What heat shield was it?

It's one of the heatshields on the exhaust downpipes Colin.

I was thinking that if I could identify the rattling bit, a healthly splodge of Gun Gum might stop the noise?

Can't make it rattle with the car on the driveway though - only seems to do it when I'm moving

Hi

My girlfriend had the same on her 323 Mazda which I fixed with a large jubilee clip. My MkI has started to faintly rattle on start so I think I'll look to give it the same treatment.

Nilpoints.

i have exactly the same problem... thought i solved it the other day.. triangular piece of shield covering the Y branch was loose and clip broken.. so fixed it but the rattle is still the and i cant get mine to rattle when parked i have bounced exhaust up and down but no noise the as soo as i go down the rd i get a really tinny rattle and it seems to be getting worse.. might have to check manifold although it sounds like its comming from passager side from under the car..

and i cant get mine to rattle when parked i have bounced exhaust up and down but no noise the as soo as i go down the rd i get a really tinny rattle

flippin annoying innit - might have to shut one of the kids under the bonnet and go for a spin

I took the car to my local HI-Q outlet and asked them to put it on the lift. The heat sield on the exhaust in front of the cat had corroded away and there was a section about 10 inches long loose on the pipe. They took it off and now the rattle has gone. Cost me nothing!

My rattle turned out to be the heat shield on the down pipe, after the cat and before the split

Tore it off and now it's quiet again!!

I had a similar issue on my LS400. Turns out the heat shield was missing a screw, so the just put a new self tapping screw and the rattle was gone..