Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all.

Regarding the Mk I speedo needle burnout post; problem sorted. Sold her on and got the MkII I mentioned. A 2000 model with only 28,000 miles. Full history from my own Lexus service agent.

A completely different animal. Smoother. Quieter. Much roomier. Bigger boot. Larger wheelbase. Smaller fuel tank. Better MPG.(if you believe the figures). And all this on a car 6" shorter than the MkI. Amazing. I am seriously impressed.

Now comes the kick in the pants.

While I was reprogramming the radio for my taste in tunes, I noticed a couple of letter/number drop-outs on the digital display. Nothing major, just a damn irritant. Funnily enough, on the CD or TAPE setting, all the letters/numbers are there perfectly. Even those in the 'iffy' area on the RADIO setting are OK on the other settings.

Has anybody come across this before?

I will bring this to the attention of the garage I got the car from, but it would be nice to have additional ammo in case he gets stroppy.

Would the fix be expensive? Awkward? Would it just mean changing the display window, or is there more to it?

Any info at all, please.

Thanks.

Phil.

I've heard of a couple of people with this problem. I don't think it would be a big problem to fix, probably dirty contacts, if you can get to the display.

Not had the problem myself as the GSs I've had have been fitted with Sat Nav.

I've heard of a couple of people with this problem. I don't think it would be a big problem to fix, probably dirty contacts, if you can get to the display.

Not had the problem myself as the GSs I've had have been fitted with Sat Nav.

Sat Nav has only started to come into Ireland fairly recently. I think the new LS has Sat Nav as an option (but don't quote me on that).

Also the sunroof (moonroof?, where do they get the descriptions from), is an option, where it is standard on UK models. Heated seats - nope. And where the UK has about 6 variants of the GS, we have 2. Leather or non-leather finish. The rest of the car is the same.

I wandered off the point there a bit, didn't I?

I hope it's not a problem to fix, I just hate the look of missing icons, you know what I mean?

Apart from that, the car is a BEAUT!!!

Yup, mine does that as well, its just like a portion of the digit is missing, its a common fault on vauxhall clocks and it was generally considered that the screen had "burnt out".

Whats weird about the Lex is that at times the missing portion seems to reappear which would put paid to the "burnt out" theory.

Its more like certain configurations of the figure of 8 LCD digit are unable to be displayed whilst in radio mode.

Much weirdness, I cant think of any good reason why that would be the case.

I had this problem on the GS300 Sport Mark II that I used to have. Didn't notice any difference when switching between radio and cd etc. though.

Mine would periodically fix itself for a couple of days and then revert back again. Never did get to the bottom of it as it was only a minor annoyance so didn't bother spending anything to get it looked at.

• 4 weeks later...

You were right about the dirty contacts. Trouble was, after three days the problem re-appeared. So the dealer took the radio out; easy enough; pulled off the display from behind the unit, took it up to our Pioneer importers, who gave him a new unit. Now all is in order. Didn't tell me how much, but it couldn't have been that dear, 'cos he looked happy.

Unlike the passenger seat motor. The passenger seat rear of cushion riser motor was making strange noises and not lifting the seat. On closer inspection, it was discovered that the plasticy gear on the end of the motor had stripped and jammed the worm.

He took the motor and 'gearbox' down to Lexus. The motor can be bought seperate, but not the 'gearbox'. According to Lexus, the 'box is part of the seat pan, and not sold seperately. Cost of replacement €1,730 (£1,153)

So he went to a local fabricator and got one made. There was enough left on the old one to take specs off of.

So now my radio readout is A.O.K. and my passengers can be seated at thier comfort.

Happy days.

Phil.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links