Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Corrosion

I know from reading previous posts that the standard 17" alloys suffer from corrosion but whats the earliest case of it setting in and how does it first manifest itself? :question::question:

Was waxing alloys at weekend (to prevent re-occurence of probs I had removing baked on brake dust) and it looks like the rear edge (sharp edge) of the alloy spokes have started to "flake" in a couple of spots :sick: ............. is this how the corrosion shows itself ? Car has only 17k and is 13 months old :angry::angry:

I have to say that I'm not one for washing the car every other day (in fact it could go a couple of months between baths :whistling::whistling::whistling: ) and now I wonder is this accelerating the problem? :ohmy:

I know from reading previous posts that the standard 17" alloys suffer from corrosion but whats the earliest case of it setting in and how does it first manifest itself? :question:  :question:

Was waxing alloys at weekend (to prevent re-occurence of probs I had removing baked on brake dust) and it looks like the rear edge (sharp edge) of the alloy spokes have started to "flake"  in a couple of spots :sick: ............. is this how the corrosion shows itself ? Car has only 17k and is 13 months old  :angry:  :angry:

I have to say that I'm not one for washing the car every other day (in fact it could go a couple of months between baths :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling: ) and now I wonder is this accelerating the problem? :ohmy:

Corrosion sets in following 2 complete revolutions of the wheel ..

Or seems that way anyhow :D

Yes the sharp edges are a good starting point.

Refurbs are much smoother and much much easier to keep clean.

Hi Everyone: Drive a 2002 IS 200 Sport, had it from brand new,bought from Lexus Edinburgh. Car has covered 7805 miles and has so far had 21 wheels including the five originals, I am now waiting to have yet another set of refurbs fitted, making a grand total of twenty six wheels, is this a record? Spoke to Lexus GB and they say Japan do not see this as a problem and all they can do for me is to replace the wheels, even though it costs me petrol to and from Edinburgh and insurance every time I get a courtesy car. I hoped to keep the car till the new model IS was released but I am now afraid to take the chance as that will mean trading it in with possibly rusty alloys! another reason to knock more money of my trade in price. ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED :angry:

Mine have started to go, around 9 months old (I think they where new on the car when I got it) mine are not flaking but appear to have the odd yellow stain around the edges here and there

Hi, yes they all don't corrode, some of them look like the lacquer is not adhered to the alloy whether this is water under the lacquer I don't know,but I can tell you from experience it only gets worse, so go to your dealer and get them changed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links