Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Household Electrician

johnboy

[flotsam,Jan 5 2005, 01:35 AM]

It may have come into law but not in my f***ing house.

the choice is yours mate, but it does actually cover all houses

There are plenty of DIY books around telling you how to do a shower. You can get one out of the library.

i am sure there are books on how to do anything, even make bombs normally have disclaimers written in them as well

There's no way I'm paying some cowboy to electrocute me. I've an electronics degree and I'm not going to let myself be electrocuted by some bone-head who's too stupid to get a decent job.

thats the whole idea of the legislation, to put a stop to the cowboys, the type of cowboys who have an electronics degree and think they are experts in electrical installation, i have a driving licence but it doesnt make me a mechanic !!

by using a registered tradesman, you will get one who has studied for a mimimum of 4 years and passed exams, and all his work will be guaranteed and have an insurance back up, hardly a bonehead :o

would love to know what you class as a a decent job !!

They'll have to prise my multimeter from my cold dead hands before I follow anything this stupid f***ing sh*** government tells me to.

multimeter :lol::lol::lol:

They've de-criminalised cannabis to lower the crime figures, yet because they've got nothing to do and everyone's complained about the seven ministers in the DTI and its "Potted Plant Strategy", they've used their time to make kids wear goggles when playing conkers. The DTI doesn't do anything other than tell businesses how to run their business. Considering it's Labour in power, they know nothing about business.

Because they've driven all the companies abroad, they've put millions in higher education getting Mickey Mouse degrees and to pay for it they introduced the fees. They've got millions in incapacity benefits, millions "economically inactive" and millions in government non-jobs such as pregnancy co-ordinators. All in all about 20% is the real unemployment rate. Are we seriously to believe that we have record low unemployment when the rest of the world has record high unemployment and all our firms are moving abroad to the Far East or Eastern Europe?

This legislation is just to give electricians a job. If these electricians weren't ripping us all off, we wouldn't be going to B&Q which offers leaflets telling you how to install electric showers.

actually the legislation is loosing many people their jobs, all the unqualified electricians for a start, or else its making them become qualified, cant see that being a bad thing,

b&q also offer leaflets telling you how to tile your bathroom

but it will not make you a tiler

and in the worst scenario a few tiles may fall off your wall

whereas in electrical work, especially showers it may kill someone :crying:

The only good politician is a dead one. They shoud all be flogged to death with the rancid corpse of a dead politician.

agree with you there :winky:

I Did :D

top man

for £300 quids I'll come round and tell you if you did it right!! :geek::geek::ohmy:

I think it's alright, after all both me and wifey are still here after putting it in 2 years ago. The hardest part was tracking the wire down to the main fuse box, so got son in law to give us a hand

So what next then ,will we have to have a qualified lexus mechanic out to inspect your car whenever you do a mod or fix a problem (diy).after all dogdy brakes cost lives to.i can understand the logic behind it but realy feel it is another case of goverment double standards and all it will do is make a lot of electricians a lot richer than they all ready are .

I Did :D

top man

for £300 quids I'll come round and tell you if you did it right!! :geek::geek::ohmy:

and i will come round for £100 and tell you what you did wrong :whistling:

Cool Bazz - I know a bloke that will come out and check your checking for £50 - he's got a certificate off the local council to be a check-the-checker, but he has to do an exam every year (he has to pay £100 quid I think) and then the examiner has to have a certificate to mark the tests (he has to pay to get that too!)

When I moved into the place I have now, I had a complete electrical checkover by the local electricity board.

The check was so thorough they missed the flurescent light in the kitchen being used as a junction point ( had 13 cables with crimp joints in it). they missed the burnt out wiring to the outside lights to one of the outbuildings (lights not worked bare wires). They missed an overhead cable supporting an earth wire which was appearing to be there as the support wire. They missed the old fuse box in an outbuilding which had no cover and a birds nest hanging over the top. They Missed the old cooker which only had one ring working, earth wires hadn't been correctly identified with the right colour sleeves, earth bonding not fully connected in every place.

These are just some of the things they missed I could go on and on but these were some of the more serious faults. By the way I have now bought all up to standard. including second trip switch protection circuit breakers to all out buildings, as well as main incomming suppy

Luckly I did many years ago a 5 yr apprenticship in electro/mechanical engineering so corrected the faults.

Go on ask me if I would have a qualified electrician in my place to carry out work, I don't think so, and by the way, the local board issued a check list approval type form saying everything was ok.

Anyway apart from that how can anyone say any work was not carried out prior to the new laws that have come into force.

Realspeed

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links