Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok on about 3 times now i am driving and i am about to stop at a light and the car cuts off. I put it on park and start it again and it starts and no problem anymore. I recall this happening one time before my starter died? Is this the sympton again or is this something having to do with the fuel?

Worth posting on the US forums. Many more LS owners there than here in the UK

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums

May need an engine de-coke though, that causes idling problems and is not un-common on older 400s or could be throttle position sensor needs cleaning/adjusting or throttle body needs cleaning.

Cenwesi,

Your problem sounds similar to mine. I have a 95 ls and in the last few months it happened 3 times that my motor stoppd. Similar situation each time; after a long drive (highway) I leave the highway and brake to stand still. Normally the RPM drops to around 500 RPM (A/C on between 500 and 750). In these cases; the RPM needle drops till ZERO....and the motor shuts down (logical). Put the gear in N, start again and no problem, no hesitation (in my case).

The dealer picked up the car, checked it completely (technically, computer, logs and so on) but couldnt find a solution. Maybe, they said, ih has something to do with some part of the fuel "system" which somewhere disturbes the fuelsupply or maybe something needs cleaning like Colin says.

My dealer spent a day on the car and I know they are very strict and well trained / ecquiped....

Since october it happened once. If it is gonna happen more often or when it creates unsafety (no motor runing means no brake- or steering assist) I will have it picked up and checked again.

Sounds like your problem? Coz I think I redue my chances of motor quitting by always have A/C switched on (i didnt have it on always, now I do)

Greets,

Speedy J

I'm in the U.S. but I'll take a stab at this.

The engine in my current LS died last fall as I made a slow speed left turn in a parking lot. I had a similar problem almost exactly every four years on my previous LS when braking, after hitting a bump, or turning. Each time, a new Battery cured the problem. Apparently an internal connection between Battery cells cracks from corrosion.

The first few times the problem happened on my 90 LS, I put up with the intermittent problem until I could get the problem formally diagnosed. When I took my current LS to the repair shop last fall, the shop owner agreed that it was not worth the trouble and expense to properly diagnose the problem since the Battery was over four years old. He simply put in a new Battery and the problem has not happened again.

I've actually put a "Replace LS battery" note on my PDA's calendar for 1 November 2008. Yes, I will still have my current LS if it does not get crashed. Its replacement is scheduled for 2014 - I think my wife is what in the U.K. is called a "chartered accountant" and she has me on quite a strict car replacement schedule!

• 2 weeks later...

I just love this story. I dig your wife's commitment to thrift. I hope that I'm getting it right - that this coincides with your enthusiasm to get the most out of your car before replacing it. You must let us know how you get on between now and the planned replacement date!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links