Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've Sheared A Stud

starkey444

I just managed to shear a wheel stud on the front of my IS200.

I can't see how I go about replacing it.

Has anyone had to do this? Can I buy a stud from Lexus or am I going to have to purchase a whole new integrated front end!!!!

Any advice on what is required to replace the little blighter wold be most welcome.

I had a new tyre fitted by KWIK-FIT on my LS400 a couple of years ago and the young guy replacing the wheel somehow sheered one of the studs off! They didn't have one in stock so I had to go back the next day(drove the car on 4 studs) They replaced it andit only took about 20 minutes. So itcan't be a big job.

And yes they gave me the tyre at half price for thier *****-up!

this happens quite often if u dont use a torque wrench - u can buy just the stud for a few £'s  u need to knock/press out the old stud  and fit the new one in the same manner.

I presume I'm going to need to remove the caliper and disk to be able to get to the back of the stud. Is it simply a case of whack out the old stud with a 7lb club hammer or do the studs 'twist' into place?

studs usually thread into place what u need is somethiong called an eazy out kit but i would imagine it would be cheaper to get it changed at a garage its not difficult to do u just drill out the center of the stud and put a tool that grips and rotates the stud out but it can be a bind if the stud is grolleyed in

the stud is a press fit on splines.

press out.press in

He's right. All you need to do is see if you have enough clearance to knock the snapped stud out behind the hub (if not you'll have to remove the hub). Get a round chisel and a hammer and just knock the snapped one out. The new one just pushes in the back. I normally just pull it through using the wheel nut. Don't pull it all the way through with the wheelnut, only about halfway, or you might knock the chrome end of the wheelnut. I find a nut a bit bigger than the stud, and place it over the stud, then use the wheelnut to pull it on the remainder. If you can, check down the back to make sure the lip is flush with the hub. Et voila, saved yourself £70 plus VAT.

• 1 year later...

Snapped a stud off my IS200 last Weekend, miss read torque wrench and did them up to 100lb not 76lb as the manual says, dont seem to like the extra torque.

Replaced the front one next day not a hard job dont need to remove disc or anything just wheel, got home last night and found another one broke on the rear this time, gonna have to change all 20 of them tommorrow........word of advise....If you over torque them get them replaced as they just dont like it and will snap off !!!!!!!!

Snapped a stud off my IS200 last Weekend, miss read torque wrench and did them up to 100lb not 76lb as the manual says, dont seem to like the extra torque.

Replaced the front one next day not a hard job dont need to remove disc or anything just wheel, got home last night and found another one broke on the rear this time, gonna have to change all 20 of them tommorrow........word of advise....If you over torque them get them replaced as they just dont like it and will snap off !!!!!!!!

100lbs what are we talking lbs/in or lbs/ft theres a huge difference lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links