Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 400 Not Starting - Click

I have a cherished LS400 MK III, 77K miles FSH. It has recently started to let me down when starting. All the clocks light up, needles swing etc, then when I turn the key I get a load click and no more. After I try it several times, the engine gives half a lurch / turn and usually fires up. The problem seems worse if I have left the car outside when damp for a few days. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Steve Durkin

I have a cherished LS400 MK III, 77K miles FSH. It has recently started to let me down when starting. All the clocks light up, needles swing etc, then when I turn the key I get a load click and no more. After I try it several times, the engine gives half a lurch / turn and usually fires up. The problem seems worse if I have left the car outside when damp for a few days. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Steve Durkin

get the Battery tested, then the starter motor.

Thanks

Steve Durkin

I changed the Battery. How do you get the SM tested - take it a Lexus dealer or independant ?

It seems to spin over fine after it has warmed up and is not damp so I suspected a solenoid / electrical problem - any thoughts ?

Thanks

SD

Thanks

Steve Durkin

I changed the Battery. How do you get the SM tested - take it a Lexus dealer or independant ?

It seems to spin over fine after it has warmed up and is not damp so I suspected a solenoid / electrical problem - any thoughts ?

Thanks

SD

if the cars an manual put it into gear let the hand brake off and rock the car back and forth, knock it out of gear and try starting it again, you may need to try this a few times but if then it starts its a fair bet the starter is nacked, if the car is an auto since you are in Watord i would try Bennits or Russells, damp for a "no start" does'nt make sence, missfire yes.

Thanks

Steve Durkin

Thanks

SD

if the cars an manual put it into gear let the hand brake off and rock the car back and forth, knock it out of gear and try starting it again, you may need to try this a few times but if then it starts its a fair bet the starter is nacked, if the car is an auto since you are in Watord i would try Bennits or Russells, damp for a "no start" does'nt make sence, missfire yes.

Thanks for the advise. I will take it to Russels, don't know Bennits - are they good ?

What I meant was that there is a part called the Bendix which engages the starter motor when you turn the key which is not working.

A typical sympton of a worn Bendix is a clicking sound when you try to start car.

It could be worn.

Thanks

Steve Durkin

Thanks

SD

Thanks for the advise. I will take it to Russels, don't know Bennits - are they good ?

Yes, feed back over the years has always been honest.

Thanks

Steve Durkin

Thanks

SD

Yes, feed back over the years has always been honest.

no - the starter motor itself has gone, a bendix is a springloaded cog that throws itself out and engages the starter motor (or not)

when the starter motor is tired it has difficulty turning the engine with the given amount of power from the Battery, and becomes very inefficent and requires more and more power, whilst the Battery gets more and more flat... :o

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links