Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just had a rather fruitless conversation with the parts guy at my local Toyota main dealer who wasn't familiar with ATF type IV, let alone whether they could supply it. Apparently they've never been asked for it before. (Took him a while to acknowledge that Lexus and Toyota are one and the same, too).

So where does one buy this stuff? My local independent uses an equivalent (supplied in large drums) which I assume is the Mobil 3309, but all I want is 8 litres or so of genuine Toyota T-IV ATF. Why is this so difficult?

Any advice welcome!

:crybaby:

I've just had a rather fruitless conversation with the parts guy at my local Toyota main dealer who wasn't familiar with ATF type IV, let alone whether they could supply it.  Apparently they've never been asked for it before.  (Took him a while to acknowledge that Lexus and Toyota are one and the same, too).

So where does one buy this stuff?  My local independent uses an equivalent (supplied in large drums) which I assume is the Mobil 3309, but all I want is 8 litres or so of genuine Toyota T-IV ATF.  Why is this so difficult?

Any advice welcome!

:crybaby:

An update:

Have found the part number for a 4 litre can - 08886-81015. Rang the Toyota dealer again (who didn't recognize the US part number) and they've quoted £38.59, presumably plus VAT.

Is that a reasonable price?

:unsure:

Thats about the price I paid at Lexus a few days ago.I have paid about £25.00 at Toyota for the same but was not near that dealer this time so bit the bullet and paid through the nose.

I am told that provided the oil is the same viscosity you can use other makes such as Castrol which would be the same or better than Toyota/Lexus.

But as I am not sure it is not worth the risk when you consider the cost of the gearbox/repairs.

Better safe than sorry.

I am told that provided the oil is the same viscosity you can use other makes such as castrol which would be the same or better than Toyota/Lexus.

Others have been told the same. Then they had shifting problems within a week or two and had to drain it out and put in T-IV. Others have paid $6000+ for transmission repairs.

5l can part number is 08886-82025 and is stupidly expensive in this country. Available from any Toyota or Lexus dealer.

As transmission fluid is never drained as part of a service schedule many dealers won't know about it. They will probably know it better as power steering fluid as it is used for that too.

I am told that provided the oil is the same viscosity you can use other makes such as castrol which would be the same or better than Toyota/Lexus.

Others have been told the same. Then they had shifting problems within a week or two and had to drain it out and put in T-IV. Others have paid $6000+ for transmission repairs.

Yes I agree its not worth the risk but if you check the USA forums you will see that people there have used and had no problems using Redline, Amosil and vavoline.

• 2 weeks later...
5l can part number is 08886-82025 and is stupidly expensive in this country. Available from any Toyota or Lexus dealer.

As transmission fluid is never drained as part of a service schedule many dealers won't know about it. They will probably know it better as power steering fluid as it is used for that too.

Indeed.

Although ironically, as you know, bog-standard Dexron is specified for the PAS system on the LS400.

I'd be mighty p****d off if I'd booked my car in for a trans fluid change and found that they'd used Dexron. Especially if they'd charged me for T-IV. But it seems that this is what's likely to happen!

The moral of the story is: If you want something done properly.....

:angry:

• 1 year later...

sorry to dig up an old thread, but i thought it was relavant for people like me who are having problems with this Type T-IV fluid.

I contact my toyota dealer for some T-IV and they gave me 08886-81015 which is stated as DEXTRON III which i queried there and then, but without proof, i just paid and left.

Now according to this http://www.lexusclub.co.uk/gearboxoil.pdf It STATES that vehicles specified with Type T-IV CAN NOT use DEXTRON III ...........

Ive take the part number from the bulletin, given it to them and they tell me is superceeded by 08886-82025 (which has been mentioned here by Colinbarber) and as stated is known to Toyota as PAS fluid.

Also 08886-81015 (which cleverdick mentioned) from post #2 is also superceeded by 08886-82025 again PAS Fluid.

Can anyone confirm that i have the right to go back to toyota, show them this info and say they have infact given me the wrong fluid? Also, anyone running with the PAS Fluid and is it correct?

yeah, its the same as the 08886-81015 1 litre bottle i got today, they have no info on the bottle, its whats on the invoice that worries me.

Hi P11GT,

Luckily I kept one of the containers for future reference and in case the small amount left was ever required for a top-up. Not so far, (touch wood).

It's supplied in 5l silver/grey plastic cans, with a red label. (You'll need 2 of them.) It's clearly marked as 'Toyota Genuine Motor Oil', and 'Automatic transmission fluid type T-IV'. The part number, on the rear label, is: 08886-82025.

There's a phone number (in Belgium): +32 (0) 2 745 24 86.

It does make me cross when the UK dealers play the dumb-*****. Good luck in your quest!

Got the ATF sorted, it was due to an incompetant parts guy who sold me the wrong stuff in the first place, the guy i seen today knew of the Type T-IV and knew it was different to what i had been given.

Is there any guides on the board concerning AT Flush proceedure? I wanna make sure i get every last bit of fluid out and fresh stuff in.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links