Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

A True All-rounder.

Okay..

I've had my IS 3-4 years, and it took me all of 5 minutes of driving it to decide it was the car I wanted...

For the last 12 months, I have been looking for a replacement... and I have come to the conclusion that the IS200 is the best all-round car on the market...

Proof? with a budget of £25,000, I set out to find a replacement for the IS, with the simple target of finding something a bit faster, a bit 'sportier looking' (e.g. coupe) and a little less practical..

So, starting with the usual suspects I looking at:

325 coupe - very expensive, low equipment, and not much faster or better to drive

C230 - again expensive, very smooth, but the drive was as involving as watching TV

A4 1.8T (quattro) - best of the bunch, but slightly uninspiring drive, and equipment levels tiny compared to IS.

So, i thought perhaps I needed to look at a different sort of car, as these just didnt compete.

Nissan 350Z - very fast, interesting style - but the same size as the IS with only 2 seats and a tiny boot.

Audi TT - great handling, a bit small, shame about the image

TVR Chimera - fast as :tsktsk: , great noise, great looks, inpraticality and reliablility worries..

So, I thought perhaps I went too far into the 'sports area', and I needed to look at comprimises.

Mitsubiti EVO VIII FQ-300 - well, it was fast according to the speedo, not exactly exciting though, and the interior was terrible, not to mention servicing schedule..

A3 3.2 Quattro - probably the closest I came to finding a replacement, it was very well specified (turned out to be a rareity though), reasonably priced, and a nice all-round comprimise. The IS was still more fun though.

So, my conclusion was simple, I'm keeping the IS for the near future, as for every new and nearly new car I have looked at for under £25k, while it may be so much better than the IS in one area, as an all-round package, nothing even comes close...

if there was a manual or coupe version, then i probably would look at doing so..

Don't dismiss the IS300 just 'cos of the auto box, it is actually an excellent auto gearbox, plus you can switch into manual mode and change with the up/down buttons on the steering wheel :driving:

both the IS300 and Tezza will look the same as i already have, and while both are faster, neither make me want to rush out and buy one..

I will see what the 250 looks like.. either that or try and get a cheap LHD 996....

That place in the above link had 2 new shape M3's the other week,i think they were priced at betwen £25/27k, even i was seriously tempted Ian the highest mileage one was 58k and both were in stunning condition.

He offered me 11k for mine

That place in the above link had 2 new shape M3's the other week,i think they were priced at betwen £25/27k, even i was seriously tempted Ian the highest mileage one was 58k and both were in stunning condition.

He offered me 11k for mine

good garage to .bought a audi from him a few years back .that convertible looks the biz

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links