Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anybody Know About Planning Regs.

Neighbour at rear ( his house at 90 degrees to mine ) has put in an application for a 2nd storey extension ( over garage ). i am going to look at the plans tomorrow.

Obvious things I can think of are looking at a 30foot x 25 foot high wall with no relief ( currently part flat and part tiled roof a landing window plusboards around roof on both floors so it breaks it all up ), if he puts windows in then privacy as it will overlook garden and all back of house including bedrooms. it will also cut down on light to house and garden.

I know I just look and talk tomorrow, but just trying to get some ideas of how to test the water with the planners.

Anybody offer any advice please?

Don't know myself but know a man who does. If no one comes back I will ask him, he's an Architect and doing some plans for me at the moment for an extra bedroom on first floor.

He should pin up a planning notice on his gate or close vicinity where Joe public can read it, detailing what he has applied for,with an address to contact if you have any objections.

All objections should be submitted in writing to the relevant authority, stating the reason for the objection

Alternatively you can look at the local authorities web page and do the same there, that's what we did,and the chap has had to demolish,as he was building without consent

best to check your deeds, its surprising what gets written into them

i am not allowed to build a fuel dispensing pump, (very strange)

and i cannot object to loss of light ?

i imagine the privacy objection is a strong point

best to ring up the local council planning and ask them what the best objections will be,

depending on where you live the initial planning permissions are sought through the local parish council, so these may be the better people to ask, as they are usually quite helpfull as it is thier local community

Cheers guys .... keep them coming.

He has applied for the permission as the council have written and told me, I'm just reluctant to go in tomorrow and start asking for reasons to object . Guess I will play it by ear.

Deeds is a good one, think they are with the building society or solicitor though ...... a few phone calls then.

I think I get 3 weeks to object.

I have just opposed some building in my road and you would be surprised what you can and can't object to.

Things you can't obeject to are:

Disrupting your view

Worry of future building

Loss of light

And even privacy is shaky

boundary or property disputes

Things you can object to are:

Road access

Drainage - or other amenities

Building out of character

conservation areas

protected trees

Listed buildings

Hope this helps matey

Interesting post there Sipey.

I can probably meet 3 CANT's but no CANs :(

It's a modern estate ( about 15 - 20 years old in this area ), it won't affect road access, drainage, conservation. Trees I have some protected but I argued they weren't and won :( Conservation - no and listed no. So looks like I'll state the CANT's and menntion the out of character .... too big ... too many windows .... big brick walls.

Other thing even though neighbour is a good friend ( was ? ) I guess he has no rights to put scaffolding up on my side of my rear fence, so can the scaffold for a two storey building in a 3 foot wide gap between his garage and joint fence?

a joint fence ie where the posts are in the middle and are clearly not on one side orthe other, u both have responsibility for, him putting scaffolding on your property then no, not allowed to do that.

wait until they put the scaffolding up ( on your side) then tell them to take it down :lol:

Talk to the local planning officer, his phone no should be on the letter. They are independent but are normally very approachable. I apply for planning fairly regularly and always have a phone conversation with the relevant planning officer first, and they are always very helpful. :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links