Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Used 2001 Is300 What To Look For

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, looks very fimiliar to www.bmw-forums.com.

I'm in the market for a used 2001-2002 Is300 with under 90K. Overall the is300 looks pretty good, it has decent power. I am wondering what kind of problems this car has, especially a 2001 model when the car was just introduced. Also is ther anything in particular I should look for when inspecting the car. Also are all Is300 RWD or are they FWD, that would really be a turn-off.

I currently drive a BMW 318i, this car is really slow off the line but its amazing thru the corners, I had a lot fun with it over the past 3 years. But maintiance wise its a burden, just too many problems.

What is your budget ? .............

I have had a leaking shock absorber (changed under warranty)

and that's pretty much about it ..................... :D

My budget is about $22000 canadian, so i can get a '01 model which is around 70-90K.

My greatest fear is that the '01 was the first year they had the car in Canada. Many first year models come with alot glitches, especially eletrical.

Anyone driven the 330i here, how would you compare the two cars.

Another close compititor is the S4 it about $4000-5000 more, but its a monster.

Also do all automatic tranny models come with the paddle-shifters or its an additional option. 

Also I am planning to stay away from the manaul box because I read about problems developing in shfiting between 2nd-3rd gears.

They are all automatic, and all come with the gears on the steering wheel ..................

DSC01365.jpg

Like that ^

A couple of other things - front tyre wear. Some IS's have a tendency to scrub the inner shoulder of the front tyre. Having a full geometry done may sort that. Also, early IS300's (certainly in the UK) had a poor starting problem. This was fixed under warranty (ECU re-programming).

IS300 vs. BMW 330i - well the BMW is quicker than the auto version of the IS300, but that's about it. I'd say the IS is better value for money, more reliable, much less common, and just as rewarding to drive. (But then I'm biased) :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links