Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cruise control = poor comsumption

Mike246

Tried a little experiment today with surprising results. My GS 300 Mk 2 has sat nav with a trip computer. 10 miles on the motorway at 70 mph with the cruise on gave instantaneous mpg of 25 - 32. Same speed and distance with smooth right foot gave overall 38.

Conclusion: The cruise control makes constant adjustments to the throttle at significant fuel cost.

Maybe this is obvious to some, but it wasn't to me before I tried it.

I have been LED to believe cruise control helped fuel economy by subtle use of the throttle - feathering the throttle to keep the speed contstant helps use less fuel.

That said - the cars I've driven with auto box / cruise control have always felt like they are in too low a gear - so the revs were running high.

Latest example was an IS200 auto I had as a courtesy car when mine was in for a service.

Running on the motorway - car felt like it was in fourth gear in a situation where I would normally be in sixth.

Difference was about 2000rpm.

On the motorway, would normally be in 6th at bit less than 3500rpm.

In the auto - was running about 5500rpm plus.

Point of my reply- I can see the theory of cruise control helping economy - but have never seen it in operation

cruise control rocks... put the seat back.. fold ya egs.. coffee in the coffee holder... one hand on the steering wheel... right relaxed

My mate always laughs... he says he has never seen someone drive and look so relaxed

Steve, I'm truly shocked. In your manor the local police nicked a lady for eating a Kit Kat while driving.

If they caught you with that lot, they would press for a custodial sentence.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links