Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Stockport Tried To Kidnap My Baby!

Whats interesting is, a few years ago Kwik Fit got in trouble for this..

As anyone that took their car in (for tyres or an exhaust) would be told the brakes were very worn, and that couldnt let the car be driven..

They were fined substantially by trading standards... and still have a bad reuptation for performing unessacery work...

i thought that even then they cant keep what is not theres,  they would have to take you to the small claims to pursue money,, not hold your car to ransom..

If you don't pay for expressly or implicitly authorised repairs, the garage may have a 'repairer's lien' under which they have the legal right to retain the car until paid. There was a case once (R v Turner) in which the owner sneakily repossessed his car and was successfully prosecuted for stealing it.

That could not happen if the owner rightly or wrongly believed that he had the legal right to drive it away (because he is not then 'dishonest')

If however you fill your fuel tank before realising you have forgotten your wallet, and admit to this, they have no right to detain you or your car. The fuel is now yours - you just owe them for it. Making off without payment (with intent to avoid payment) is an offence, of course.

I just had a similar experience with Lexus Woodford (less the ransom!). The missus smacked the nearside door mirror and went straight to the dealer for a quote. Before she knew it they had booked it in for this morning for a full unit replacement, at the nice sum of £329! :crybaby:

When I got home last night, took a look: fold in works left/right/up/down all work – absolutely no mechanical problems, :blink: all it needs is a mirror and the colour-coded mounting, which was cracked. So, took it to them this morning, low and behold only the mirror and moulding is required, price now: £120 (still high in my opinion, but better that £300+).

Like most businesses, they will always try to fleece you (1) If they think you don’t know any better, or (2) If you have no option. Then there’s the ‘Prestige Added Tax’…

i thought that even then they cant keep what is not theres,  they would have to take you to the small claims to pursue money,, not hold your car to ransom..

If you don't pay for expressly or implicitly authorised repairs, the garage may have a 'repairer's lien' under which they have the legal right to retain the car until paid. There was a case once (R v Turner) in which the owner sneakily repossessed his car and was successfully prosecuted for stealing it.

That could not happen if the owner rightly or wrongly believed that he had the legal right to drive it away (because he is not then 'dishonest')

If however you fill your fuel tank before realising you have forgotten your wallet, and admit to this, they have no right to detain you or your car. The fuel is now yours - you just owe them for it. Making off without payment (with intent to avoid payment) is an offence, of course.

ive learned something then..

:offtopic: but strangely related.

i used to work for a h/w s/w support company that dealt with a very large brwery in the uk, and in a similar vein to charging for unneccessary work or charging 10p on the pound, all their pubs were instructed to get 110% out of a barrel.

Of course when watchdog et al got wind of this the muck hit the fan!!!

Just goes to show how badly needed is ethical and corporate govenance laws that don`t fleece the consumer!!

I think those dealer/health pills/garage etc adverts that ask you about the security of your money are more relevant nowadays than ever they were!!

Keep yours eyes open and your wallets guarded!!

heres one for the politzia in here if someone retained your car on the grounds that they are saying its not safe (not on an mot) could you ring the police up and report the car stolen?

heres one for the politzia in here if someone retained your car on the grounds that they are saying its not safe (not on an mot) could you ring the police up and report the car stolen?

you could but chances are the police would say its a civil matter and not get involved " at least that what i would say " :blush:

But common sense would prevail surely, i mean we (police) can issue a PG9 for an unfit car or use several con and use offences to prevent it from being driven but your car needs to be pretty ropey for that to happen.

If I was called to that scenario I would get you the car back from the garage by having a quiet word unless it was a they said just too dangerous to be driven then i would tell you that if you drove it I would prosecute you for whatever con and use offence you were committing if you drove it

That might not be the exact way by law to do it but thats the way i would do it in the real world with the pressures of racing from job to job and without all my law books to hand.

PS: dont take any notice of me im in CID :lol::lol::whistling:

Oh S :tsktsk: :tsktsk: T!!!

I've just booked mine in for an 80000 mile service on Wednesday. At a cost of £398.83 excluding discount.

I'll have to watch out for 'extra charges' etc. Will let you all know how I go on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links