Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200

hi just purchased a is200 and finding the steering very light and when turning the steering doesnt seem to return to centre whilst driving. it just remains in the direction you leave the wheel. Feels as though there is no resistance. I have drove a is200 previously and did not feel like this.

Any sugguestions guys?

mines currently doing this as well, when you put the car on full lock, the steering wheel does always straighten the front wheels automatically, its like you have correct the steering yourself.

Try getting a full geometry done on the car, I hope this will sort mine out, anybody else got any other ideas???

Just spoke to lexus coventry, they seem to think that the cheaper brand of tyres are causing this problem. I find it hard to believe this. How could the tyres have such a dramatic affect. They said that dunlop sp9000 are the best ones to go for. Can any one give me any advice. I dont really want to change 4 tyres as they still got about 4mm grip.

Thanks

Jus spoke to lex cov. They seem to think the problem is to do with the tyres. They recommend dunlops only. I find it hard to belive that the tyres would have a major effect on the steering. The tyres on my car are some foreign make and susposed to be made by michelin. I dont fancy changing 4 tyres as my exsisting ones still have a decent amount of grip. However i need to solve this problem.

Has any one got any solutions??

Thanks

Jus spoke to lex cov. They seem to think the problem is to do with the tyres. They recommend dunlops only. I find it hard to belive that the tyres would have a major effect on the steering. The tyres on my car are some foreign make and susposed to be made by michelin. I dont fancy changing my tyres as they still have a decent amount of grip. However i need to solve this problem.

Has any one got any solutions or experienced a similar problem ??

Thanks

Would suggest the geometry first. Caster angle and (so Tony told me) King Pin angle are the things that are responsible for pulling the wheels straight.

Tyres bit sounds like b*****ks to me.

No doubt The Dr will be along soon.

hi just purchased a is200 and finding the steering very light and when turning the steering doesnt seem to return to centre whilst driving.  it just remains in the direction you leave the wheel.  Feels as though there is no resistance.  I have drove a is200 previously and did not feel like this.

Any sugguestions guys?

I have just purchased a 99 IS200SE and I have the same problem. It returns to approximate centre but needs fine adjustment to real centre line, if the wheel is turned very slightly it seems to stay in that position as if the steering joints are slightly sticky or something. Suggestions appreciated also ..

Would suggest the geometry first. Caster angle and (so Tony told me) King Pin angle are the things that are responsible for pulling the wheels straight.

Tyres bit sounds like b*****ks to me.

No doubt The Dr will be along soon.

Neil you are "spot on" :D the castor angles are to low? reason for this is the camber angle :unsure:i could give an in depth explination if any one wants it, if not im sure i will just bore everyone :crybaby:

The geom is a must.

my car lowered as is has about 7* of positive castor (think its positive).  Steering is quick to return

7 deg reads a bit high, but the steering axis would depend on your current camber settings, if the castor is 7 deg the steering axis would be "high" and the "toe out on turns" would also be high and accelerate the turn in radii, but be lost in the turn out, from this i would assume your front camber is near to 20/ 30 min and relies on the kpi for the steering return.

toe is @ 0

camber is at -2.25*

castor is at 7.44*

"Where have you gone" :excl: ...on topic naaah this does not make sence! Why have the cambers at 2deg 25/ 75 ? the kpi will be low and inert, castor so positive it will be inactive, and a turning radii the size of my arse.

Any recommeded garages in the midlands area??

NO. but try drury land service station in oldham or a guy called tony bones in watford (www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk).  do a serach to get their details, both these guys are highly recommended by LOC members and they know what they are doing

How much does lexus charge??

V EXPENSIVE.  my local lexus dealer charges £126 (inc vat) for a geo setup/check and £21.00 for each adjustment.  a geo setup/check at a dealer will cost abot £200!!!

Can places like kwick fit do it ??

NO.  don't even both with places like quick fit, they can only do tracking, which different to a geo setup/check

Thanks

I'M sure someone else will be along who maybe able to offer some better advice.

CHEERS

V EXPENSIVE.  my local lexus dealer charges £126 (inc vat) for a geo setup/check and £21.00 for each adjustment.  a geo setup/check at a dealer will cost abot £200!!!

:blink: Lexus Reading charged me about £45 for a full geometry check/correction, valeted my car and gave me an IS200 SE courtesy car at no charge.

:blink: Lexus Reading charged me about £45 for a full geometry check/correction, valeted my car and gave me an IS200 SE courtesy car at no charge.

i take it that was with a loc discount?

just goes to show, shop around for the best deal

BTW- £126 quote was from Lexus Leeds (without any discount)

Be carefull guys between four wheel alignment and full geometry :unsure: both can be expained as "geometry" but they cover very different areas, if you are unsure a "four wheel" alignment will not give a print out, a "full" geometry will :D

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a 2000 Lexus is200 sport. I too am having the same problem with the steering. It is stiff, and does not self center properly. The first bit you turn from the center is vary stiff, then it seems to be ok , Have had bottom ball joints as they were shot, but this made no difference to it. its a real annoying problem, and spoils the driving experience altogether, enough to put me off the car altogether, which is a shame, as everything else is ok. Except the crap stereo, which has been binned for a Sony Mp3 player, new speakers and power amp. Gonna try changing power steering fluid, and then get to Lexus and have this geomatry set up. Also the brake's are very spongy, been told to change brake fluid,

Any thoughts on all this from anyone having similar problems!!

Ok, I live in North Yorkshire, and have just telephoned Lexus Teeside, and spoke to their Service manager. :blink: He reckons something is bent on the suspension, as he says camber and kingpin angle's are factory set, and cannot be adjusted without fitting shorter or longer bottom arms, and or, fitting adjustable camber thingame jigs. This may be so, i'm no mechanical genious. They quoted £158 plus VAT, to do a geomatory check. So sod that, for now!

Here''s a breakdown of what i've done to the car so far, remembering that my current problem, is stiff steering that doe'#snt self center properly.

New standard, springs and shocks , front and rear. New bottom front ball joints. New front brake pads, Check and clean caliper sliding pins. New front tyres, which arent the best , Marshall, 215/45 17". Check steering rack is totally free. Check for previous accident damage, to all front suspension. Nothing appears to be damaged in any way. Check track rod ends are ok. Make sure front struts are moving ok, where they join the inner wing at the top.

Have read the post which says, tyres must be Dunlops with standard suspension, but i find it hard to beleive that different tyres would cause such an obvious problem. But must admit, it would be nice it turned out only to be that, but its a lot of money, only to find the problem is still apparant.

Dont really know where to go from here, still intend to change power steering fluid, but actually think this will be the cause of the prob.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the North East , ie, middlesborough, or Leeds area, of England, that can help . Would love to hear from others with the same problem, and details of anything they have done to sovle this kind of prob.

I have found that main Lexus dealers, dont know much, unless its written on a computer screen, or in their little black secret books!! A bit of a "Brand new customers only!!" kind of scenario! lol lol

Any help gratefully accepted. Cheers.

PS, Any one needing any advice on fitting aftermarket stereos, power amps etc, I may be of help, especially with the wiring up of ISO adapters.

Mike B)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links