Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alignment

My wife hit a huge pothole in our GS300 - it destroyed the NSF alloy and tyre.

Took it to Lexus to get a new wheel and get the alignment checked. Here are the results for the front:

CAMBER SPECS # Min: -0deg 48' Max: 0deg 12'

CAMBER INITIAL # Left: -0deg 36' Right: -0deg 12'

CAMBER FINAL # Left: -0deg 36' Right: -0deg 06'

TOE SPECS # Min: -0deg 03' Max: 0deg 21'

TOE INITIAL # Left: 0deg 03' Right: 0deg 03'

TOE FINAL # Left: 0deg 06' Right: 0deg 06'

What worries me are the differences in camber on the front wheels. Vehicle now seems to track to the left and the steering wheel isn't straight any more. Is the suspension on the GS adjustable for camber? Any comments on this alignment from the gurus amongst you?

Second question - after the (ahem) 'incident' we replaced the dead wheel with the spare. I hadn't realised before reading this forum that torques and tightening order was so crucial and explains the slight shuddering when braking lightly from 60mph. What ARE the recommended torques? Am assuming the order is simply to tighten the opposite wheel nut next...

Ross

Took it to Lexus to get a new wheel and get the alignment checked. Here are the results for the front:

What worries me are the differences in camber on the front wheels. Vehicle now seems to track to the left and the steering wheel isn't straight any more. Is the suspension on the GS adjustable for camber? Any comments on this alignment from the gurus amongst you?

Second question - after the (ahem) 'incident' we replaced the dead wheel with the spare. I hadn't realised before reading this forum that torques and tightening order was so crucial and explains the slight shuddering when braking lightly from 60mph. What ARE the recommended torques? Am assuming the order is simply to tighten the opposite wheel nut next...

Ross

This doesn't look right Ross. Take a look at my thread in the IS200 Brakes & Suspension" forum. The camber angle and toe settings are almost perfect.

Ross

This doesn't look right Ross. Take a look at my thread in the IS200 Brakes & Suspension" forum. The camber angle and toe settings are almost perfect.

Agree with you Mike there is a big difference in the cambers, also from the numbers looks only the front toe has been adjusted.

So bump, where are you Dr Bones?

@Ross get back there ASAP a take a piccy of the pot hole and go for the council to get it all paid for, assuming it was a public road.

Ross

Sorry to read about the accident, you need to "claim" for the damage. The report you have shown is not "complete" Can you scan the report and display it in full? if not show the Castor/ KPI it may be shown as SJI/ rear Camber and Toe. I assume the s/w is "right hand down".

Hi there - thanks for the replies. I would love to show you the scanned report, but unfortunately, I don't appear to have been granted permission to attach anything to posts in this forum...

There is not a great deal more on it anyway. They didn't measure caster - at least there are three dashes (---) in the 'initial' and 'final' columns for this. Also, blank are measurements for 'SAI', 'Included Angle', 'Setback', 'Toe Out On Turns', and 'Max Turns'. The only items with numbers next to them are 'Camber' and 'Toe'.

I assume that you are not that interested in the stuff for the Rear axle....

You are absolutely spot on with the assumption that the steering wheel is right hand down. About 30 degrees down actually, with a dreadful and nagging pull to the left.

Does it sound like I got bad value for money here? 360 quid for them to put a new tyre and alloy together, fire it into the boot of the car and then stick the car on a ramp and twiddle the track rod a couple of times? For checking the alignment the bill is itemised out at £75 plus VAT.

Hi there - thanks for the replies. I would love to show you the scanned report, but unfortunately, I don't appear to have been granted permission to attach anything to posts in this forum...

There is not a great deal more on it anyway. They didn't measure caster - at least there are three dashes (---) in the 'initial' and 'final' columns for this. Also, blank are measurements for 'SAI', 'Included Angle', 'Setback', 'Toe Out On Turns', and 'Max Turns'. The only items with numbers next to them are 'Camber' and 'Toe'.

I assume that you are not that interested in the stuff for the Rear axle....

You are absolutely spot on with the assumption that the steering wheel is right hand down. About 30 degrees down actually, with a dreadful and nagging pull to the left.

Does it sound like I got bad value for money here? 360 quid for them to put a new tyre and alloy together, fire it into the boot of the car and then stick the car on a ramp and twiddle the track rod a couple of times? For checking the alignment the bill is itemised out at £75 plus VAT.

The hardest part of geometry to understand are the angles that weren't measured? those angles control directional stability with a "balance" of forces, geometry is "three" dimensional, Lexus have only measured "two" dimensions! you have paid £75 for a "wheel alignment". If i were you go back and ask them to "complete" the geometry test since thats what you paid for. On the invoice does it say "wheel alignment" or "geometry" :excl:

The invoice says "Set up vehicle on 4 wheel aligner, checked readings and carried out adjustments to bring back within spec"....

But its fairly immaterial - this dealer is 200 miles away from where I live and it was quite an investment in time and money taking it to them in the first place. Now that they have blown it, I wont be throwing good money after bad with them.

I dont suppose you know of anybody who 'has a clue' about geometry in the North Yorkshire area? I would rather take it somewhere else and get a proper job done next time.

The invoice says "Set up vehicle on 4 wheel aligner, checked readings and carried out adjustments to bring back within spec"....

But its fairly immaterial - this dealer is 200 miles away from where I live and it was quite an investment in time and money taking it to them in the first place. Now that they have blown it, I wont be throwing good money after bad with them.

I dont suppose you know of anybody who 'has a clue' about geometry in the North Yorkshire area? I would rather take it somewhere else and get a proper job done next time.

Drury lane service station? "click" on my banner, go to "trusted" centres the details are there, they also aggreed a price structure for LOC. Werever you go make sure its a "full" geometry! if you need help at the time of the geometry or feel unsure, i can help you "live" as i did with Mr Morse during a six hour geometry recovery at TSL. If needs be phone me at work #01923 234666 ask for Tony.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links