Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Total Brake Failier

andy_swansea

I have had my ls 400 now for 7 months and was very pleased with it till last night. it is a 97 model with 100.000 miles. last night while driving home at exess speeds i put my foot on the brake and it sank straight to the carpet leaving me with total failier. has any one had this problem?? i would be glad of any help

Look for a burst brake pipe or hose.......is there any brake fluid in the reservoir?

I had time to look at the car tonight and changed the pads as they were down very low but no warning light had come on. Anyway I clamped off all the pipes to rule out the calipers and it still sank to te floor. So it can only be the master Cylinder i will change ths tomorrow and let you all know the results.

Look for a burst brake pipe or hose.......is there any brake fluid in the reservoir?

I had time to look at the car tonight and changed the pads as they were down very low but no warning light had come on. Anyway I clamped off all the pipes to rule out the calipers and it still sank to te floor. So it can only be the master Cylinder i will change ths tomorrow and let you all know the results.

I expect that will cost you.

As a matter of interest $250 in USA.

the cost of the master cylinder is £282 + vat anybody got any ideas where i can get one from with out paying silly money for 6 bits of rubber and a spring?

the cost of the master cylinder is £282 + vat anybody got any ideas where i can get one from with out paying silly money for 6 bits of rubber and a spring?

If I was you I would get a oem one from the usa.

Try www.discounttoyotaparts.com $240.00 about £140.00. plus shipping and duty.

They do exprees delivery.

Sewells in Texas are also good or www.newlexusparts.com

• 4 years later...

Do you know what.....its a shame im 4 years too late for this post :blink: , but i've just had the exact same problem.

So for anyone else who comes accross the pedal sinking.........look underneath straight away and you will see fluid dripping/pouring out somewhere.

Mine was just a hole that had rusted thro in a long brake pipe at the rear of the car.

It runs from 1 back wheel to the other (not the handbrake) and i think the hole appeared due to the heat from exhaust over 16 years or so...its not done that bad looking at it that way.

Waiting for an official quote from Lexus before diving off into making my own brake pipes.

Their 1st idea said its a £30 pipe including brake fluid....i hope thats all it is, but now they want a pic to confirm.

It will save me so much effort in bending my own pipes if it is that £30 pipe - have you saw how many bends the pipe has???

Hope andy swansea didnt but a master cylinder :whistling:

• 1 year later...

Mine did the same, but no sign of fluid anywhere under the car when parked up and the brake pedal was pumped. Lexus said it was "probably" the brake fluid leaking back into the servo. It had used lots of fluid but there was no smoking from the exhaust to show the fluid burning off.

Then by a complete fluke I found an ex-Lexus technician with his own business, and he said hew would look at it-turned out that the back to front brake pipes on both sides where perforated like a teabag-brake fluid misted out under pressure-and the X piece connecting the brake pipes was corroded to hell, internally blocked with flakes of rust. The misting meant that the pipes did not leak without any pressure, hence no fluid under the car, despite it being laid up for a few months when I thought the problem was expensive and possibly terminal!

New pipes, X piece, brake fluid and complete brake check was £100 and it's been perfect since.

• 5 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links