Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've got a Mk.3 LS400, which (as far as I can tell) had the Handling Pack - it's got 245/50/17 tyres on Lexus rims. When I got it, it had a new set of Pirelli PZero Assimetrico tyres fitted, which gave great grip; however, they didn't last long, needing replacing after 20K miles.

When I came to replace them, it seems about the only tyre available in 245/50/17 is... PZero Assimetrico. So that's what I went for, although they're eye-wateringly expensive. Now, if I went with 245/45/17, there's lots of different tyres I could go for: Toyo, Continental, Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Goodyear.

Obviously going from 50 series to 45 series will make the car sit about 0.5 inch lower; I guess it will also make the speedo read high, as it makes the circumference about 3 inches shorter, so wheels will be turning quicker for the same road speed. What about ride quality? With less sidewall, presumably that means stiffer, less compliant tyres, so harsher ride? Anyone tried it and can advise? It's not an ideal solution, but if it could save me 200 quid on a full set...

Regards,

Martin

I've got a Mk.3 LS400, which (as far as I can tell) had the Handling Pack - it's got 245/50/17 tyres on Lexus rims. When I got it, it had a new set of Pirelli PZero Assimetrico tyres fitted, which gave great grip; however, they didn't last long, needing replacing after 20K miles.

When I came to replace them, it seems about the only tyre available in 245/50/17 is... PZero Assimetrico. So that's what I went for, although they're eye-wateringly expensive. Now, if I went with 245/45/17, there's lots of different tyres I could go for: Toyo, Continental, Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Goodyear.

Obviously going from 50 series to 45 series will make the car sit about 0.5 inch lower; I guess it will also make the speedo read high, as it makes the circumference about 3 inches shorter, so wheels will be turning quicker for the same road speed. What about ride quality? With less sidewall, presumably that means stiffer, less compliant tyres, so harsher ride? Anyone tried it and can advise? It's not an ideal solution, but if it could save me 200 quid on a full set...

Regards,

Martin

20 Thousand miles is good for a LS.

If you are happy with ride quality etc stick with the pirelli.

£200 is only a few tanks of fuel.

True enough - but at a grand for a full set, that means I'm paying 5p/mile just for tyres. Of course, that's relatively insignificant compared to the 15p/mile that goes on petrol, but if there were an alternative that was £200 cheaper, and which lasted 30K miles, that would almost halve the 'per mile' cost of tyres.

Regards,

Martin

Where abouts in the Midlands are you? I'm from the Birmingham and i recently had a set of 4 Pirelli P Zero Rosso's for my GS300 (235/45 ZR17) for £90 each from a place called Avenue tyres in south Birmingham. They can usually get any size you need within a day and are very competitive.

Cheers,

Sandeep

True enough - but at a grand for a full set, that means I'm paying 5p/mile just for tyres. Of course, that's relatively insignificant compared to the 15p/mile that goes on petrol, but if there were an alternative that was £200 cheaper, and which lasted 30K miles, that would almost halve the 'per mile' cost of tyres.

Regards,

Martin

I think you will be lucky to get 30k.

Where abouts in the Midlands are you?  I'm from the Birmingham and i recently had a set of 4 Pirelli P Zero Rosso's for my GS300 (235/45 ZR17) for £90 each from a place called Avenue tyres in south Birmingham.  They can usually get any size you need within a day and are very competitive. 

Cheers,

Sandeep

Sandeep,

I'm in Tamworth - close enough to make a trip to Small Heath at that price!

Regards,

Martin

I think you will be lucky to get 30k.

Andy,

Oh, I know that - no harm in trying, though! I just figure that PZero Assimetricos are probably one of the softer tyres; if I could find something with a little less grip, but which lasted to 25K, say, then that would be a reasonable compromise. Unless, of course, they were absolutely crap in the wet. I had some tyres like that on my last car (3-litre Omega) - I finally had to replace them with loads of tread left when I got sick of power-slides in the wet every time I went near the throttle.

Regards,

Martin

I have no trouble at all with tyres wearing out. I currently have a set of Vredesteins on that I have had for over 31k and they are still not illegal and still give good grip in the wet and dry. They are not that expensive either; 120 ish each last time I looked.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links