Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am Going to see a 1993 K plate LS400 tomorrow..it hasnt got full Lexus History but mostly dealer stamps to start with then independant garage for the rest of the full history....any ideas what to check on these beauties? Also where is the gearbox oil dipstick on them? Any help/advice much appreciated :winky:

I myself have purchased a K reg LS400 6 weeks ago and I can recommend going to the USA forums as they have an excellent sticky on buying an older model.

They are heavy cars so suspension is a critical thing to get right as the parts are a hassle to get cheaply, search this forum and see the fun some members have had trying to import bushes at a fair price. Of course if money is no object buy your lexus parts in the uk, otherwise take it on a decent test drive and get onto some rough roads to really work the suspension, any clonks or thuds and chances are it needs work, which is good as you can then bargain hard!

Steering pumps and racks can give trouble, check for leaks as they are notorious for leaking into the alternator and taking that out of action.

Some people recommend the later models due to the improvements on brake sizes gizmos etc, but an early model still represents good value if you treat it well.

Check the condition of all the fluids after your test drive, have a good sniff of the oil and trans fluid, brake reservoir etc, and make sure they are clean. Check this against the last recoreded service.

How many miles? Not a big issue if its been looked after. There are plenty of these cars available for £2k and the price of petrol is going to cut back on their desirability, so no rush. Petrol comes out of my entertainment budget so I don't care what it costs!

Good luck.

Just an update i have put a deposit on the LS400 i looked at today. The car has a couple of faults that i found, firstly the dash has a problem not lighting up and the gas struts on the bonnet are weak, the dealer has agreed to put 12 months mot and 6 months tax on and sort the dash problem out, fit new struts. If the dash problem is not sorted he has agreed to return my deposit. Does anyone have any idea what the problem with the dash could be and what sort of cost to repair. :whistling:

Dash not lighting is a prob with blown transistors/diodes (summat like that) Lexus witll charge £1k+ to replace the whole thing. There are plenty of posts on this site from people that have had the same problem and had repairs done for much less than Lexus prices.

well done on buying your lexus. I've had mine for 6 weeks (1994 M) and really love it!! I am an MOT tester by trade and can honestly say they have far superior build quality to just about anything else on the roads.. The sheer quality and superior ride etc , not to mention effortless V8 power will cost you only about 5p per mile more than an average hatchback shopping trolley! Its honestly worth every penny!

The gods have worked against me again! Had a call today from the dealer.....dash is going to cost him £1000 to repair and so the deal is off. My deposit will be returned and I am still car less and more importantly Lexus less! I dont think I was meant to have a Lexus!!!

Back to the drawing board methinks :duh:

Many thanks to everyone who's offered advice and tried to help in my quest for a Lexus! Although I've bought a BM I'll keep checking on your great site as I still really want a Lexus but I need a car quick hence the BMW was purchased.

Many Thanks Again

Peter

:)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links