Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, I have just bought an LS 400 first registered May 1998, 103k on the clock, paid £7400. It seems OK, paint work fine, but I find the throttle a bit peculiar. When I press the throttle there is a lag before anything happens, is this usual?

I am thinking of having the stone chips painted out by respray then having an 'Ultra Diamond Brite' coating put on. Does anyone know anything about this?

When I press the throttle there is a lag before anything happens, is this usual?

I would have to say no but obviously it is an ECT auto and the LS has a power and an economy setting ( at least my MK2 does so your MK4 should)

Check to see if this is set to normal or PWR, this brings up a light on the dashboard.

If set to PWR it should take off quickly in any gear but if not then will be a bit more sedate. I think i'm right in saying that these gearboxes are adaptive too meaning they'll learn your driving style. This can be reset by disconnecting the Battery and reconnecting it as far as i'm aware. Don't do anything drastic yet as i'm sure there'll be MK4 owners along to see you right (and correct my BS).

I am thinking of having the stone chips painted out by respray then having an 'Ultra Diamond Brite' coating put on. Does anyone know anything about this?

Sorry, can't help you there :blush:

Welcome to the LOC! :D

Hi, I have just bought an LS 400 first registered May 1998, 103k on the clock, paid £7400.  It seems OK, paint work fine, but I find the throttle a bit peculiar.  When I press the throttle there is a lag before anything happens, is this usual?

I am thinking of having the stone chips painted out by respray then having an 'Ultra Diamond Brite' coating put on.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Welcome :D nice car, dont know your problem, but if you having re-painted, dont go with the ultra Diamond Brite, lot of money and not very good, you can put some of that clear plastic film on to help with the stone chips :D

Welcome mate. I had the diamond brite thing put on my car as a sweetener when i bought it. I personally think its a waste of money. Just buy some great car detailing products and you should be fine with that. Have a look in the car care section. The Klasse products are excellent and if you go for the sealant glaze, put on a few layers and it gives you protection on your paint work :D

Grats on the new LS :D I'm not 100% sure on the LS but if it's like my GS it's the elctronic throttle, that adapts to your driving style, i.e. it's not necessarily how far you put your foot down, but what your driving style is like. If you regarly "floor it" then I find the throttle is very responsive, however when I've been plodding along on motorways etc for some time it tends to take a little longer to get going.

I'm sure someone with more knowlege will be along shortly to advise you of this in a more technical manner.

BTW enjoy! :D

Try driving for a while with a lead foot (teach the car who's boss). As mentioned above, It may be the gearbox/throttle memory, mine went back to Lexus for a simular fault. The mechanic took my car out for a while and after that it drove like a different car. :tomato: Apparently if the Battery is removed or you drive it gently, the car learns and adapts itself to that way of driving.

Not sure about the throttle but it all sounds about right. The paint treatment is a lot of old hype!! Its basically a decent wax which anyone cando themselves-apparently they cut it back with G3 (used with plenty of water) or similar (not T cut as it contains ammonia which dulls the shine) which gives a "clean" surface for the wax to go onto.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links