Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I think my Lexus Ls 400 - 1994 is a fantastic car, however i have a serious problem.

When i apply the air conditioining, it lasts for about five minutes and when i stop the car at a junction of traffic lights , the revs drop so low that when i proceed to take off again the car cuts out and i have to re-start again.

This is very annoying and it stops me using the air con.

I have had it with the mechanic several times but to no avail.

Can anyone please help me.Desparate.

Thanks

I think there's a sensor which raises the revs when the A/C is turned on, obviously the A/C compressor needs a lot of power so the revs have to compensate. I'm not sure exactly how this is done on the LS though. Have u tried a search on the US forums as they probably use the A/C much more than us lot.Mine actually raises the revs so you actually hear it go up when the A/Ccompressor kicks in. (i've just been out to check)

:offtopic: I have a 94 LS too mate and you're spot on , it's a great car. I took mine for the MOT today after 8 months ownership and 12500 miles and it passed straight away.

Good luck with your car mate.

I think there's a sensor which raises the revs when the A/C is turned on, obviously the A/C compressor needs a lot of power so the revs have to compensate. I'm not sure exactly how this is done on the LS though. Have u tried a search on the US forums as they probably use the A/C much more than us lot.Mine actually raises the revs so you actually hear it go up when the A/Ccompressor kicks in. (i've just been out to check)

:offtopic: I have a 94 LS too mate and you're spot on , it's a great car. I took mine for the MOT today after 8 months ownership and 12500 miles and it passed straight away.

Cheers Adz.

My refs rise to compensate also but every minute or so they drop back down and go up and down for a while and then down so low the car cuts out.

Thanks for help.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine did the same, would conk out after engine been running a while. Could sit at lights and watch engine revs drop until the car stalled, took car in and problem was dirty throttle!

Easily DIY cleaned or a garage job?

Mine did the same, would conk out after engine been running a while. Could sit at lights and watch engine revs drop until the car stalled, took car in and problem was dirty throttle!

Easily DIY cleaned or a garage job?

Garage I'm afraid and they pulled my pants down at £165.00 :offtopic:

I just had this issue the other day. I was coming home from an amusement park, and had turned the A/C on on the free way for about 10-20 minutes of driving. I hit a traffic jam, going about 10-15 miles per hour, turned off the a/c to enjoy the hot weather outside. and then all of a suddend when I went to accelerate the car had shut off! I was scrambling to get to the side of the freeway emergency lanes. This had happened once more with me before. Usually the A/C is never turned off when my family drives it. So does cleaning the throttle solve the problem completely?

• 2 months later...
I just had this issue the other day. I was coming home from an amusement park, and had turned the A/C on on the free way for about 10-20 minutes of driving. I hit a traffic jam, going about 10-15 miles per hour, turned off the a/c to enjoy the hot weather outside. and then all of a suddend when I went to accelerate the car had shut off! I was scrambling to get to the side of the freeway emergency lanes. This had happened once more with me before. Usually the A/C is never turned off when my family drives it. So does cleaning the throttle solve the problem completely?

Hello: More than likely cleaning the Throttle will solve the problem. Also put fuel injection cleaner. The problem will solve when you run the car a bit hard for a day. A bit hard is stteping down on the gas so it gets more flow of gas going. It should take about a day or two and your problem should be gone. Need to check air filter also. If all these fails I would replace fuel filter. You can also clean the Mass/airflow sensor as last resorts. You can do it yourself cleaning the Throttle.

C. PR

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links