Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Geometry In Ireland

Hey folks,

I want to get the geometry done on my IS200, and much as I'd love to head over to wheelsinmotion, the small matter of the Irish Sea being in the way makes it a bit tricky. Has anyone had geometry done on a Lexus over here, preferably in or around Dublin? If anyone can suggest someone good (or even relate bad experiences to be avoided) I'd be much obliged.

Ta muchly,

Si

PS Haven't posted much since I got the Lex, but I'm absolutely lovin' it. You'll be unsurprised to hear that I don't really regret getting rid of my Polo... :D

Hey folks,

I want to get the geometry done on my IS200, and much as I'd love to head over to wheelsinmotion, the small matter of the Irish Sea being in the way makes it a bit tricky. Has anyone had geometry done on a Lexus over here, preferably in or around Dublin? If anyone can suggest someone good (or even relate bad experiences to be avoided) I'd be much obliged.

Ta muchly,

Si

PS Haven't posted much since I got the Lex, but I'm absolutely lovin' it. You'll be unsurprised to hear that I don't really regret getting rid of my Polo...  :D

Good for you :D Sorry i couldn't help with a 'trusted centre'.

I'm from N.Ireland and the only people here who seem to have all the right equipment are Charles Hurst. The only thing is that you may have ask them if you can set it up the way you want as they will prob just take your car and make sure everything is straight etc then give you the car back cos they ain't exactly into modifying their cars.

Diapason,

I got mine checked out at Dave McCann tyres when I was getting new rubber all round a few weeks ago..................

Dave McCann Tyres & 3D Alignment Centre

davemccann@oceanfree.net

Unit 12 Coolmine Bus. Park,

Blanchardstown,

Dublin 15.

087 - 2500365 or 01 - 8202221

I had badly worn insides on front tyres and car was twitchy as hell steering wise. He did a geometry check and found the toe was out on the fronts hence the unevern wear, he mdae adjustments on all four corners and car seems alot better now, hopefully new tyres wont wear unevenly either.............. he charged me €60 but that was because I spent €720 on tyres, probably cost you more if you just get the geom............. Tony at WIM had sent me a set up on email but as my car is completely standard wheel and suspension wise Dave used the machine settings.............. didn't get a printout but I am supposed to drop back in for a recheck (cos he did the geometry / tracking etc with the old tyres on and he just wants to be sure nothing is put out by the new rubber).......... I'll get the print out then.

Dont know exactly what equipment he has but it looked impressive, on screen wheel by wheel guages showing where the adjustments were needed............. "Visualiner" is the only name I can recall seeing ....... doe that mean anything to anyone?

Hope this helps.

DB

Diapason,

I got mine checked out at Dave McCann tyres when I was getting new rubber all round a few weeks ago..................

Dave McCann Tyres & 3D Alignment Centre 

davemccann@oceanfree.net     

Unit 12 Coolmine Bus. Park,

Blanchardstown,

Dublin 15.

087 - 2500365 or 01 - 8202221

I had badly worn insides on front tyres and car was twitchy as hell steering wise. He did a geometry check and found the toe was out on the fronts hence the unevern wear, he mdae adjustments on all four corners and car seems alot better now, hopefully new tyres wont wear unevenly either.............. he charged me €60 but that was because I spent €720 on tyres, probably cost you more if you just get the geom............. Tony at WIM had sent me a set up on email but as my car is completely standard wheel and suspension wise Dave used the machine settings.............. didn't get a printout but I am supposed to drop back in for a recheck (cos he did the geometry / tracking etc with the old tyres on and he just wants to be sure nothing is put out by the new rubber).......... I'll get the print out then.

Dont know exactly what equipment he has but it looked impressive, on screen wheel by wheel guages showing where the adjustments were needed............. "Visualiner" is the only name I can recall seeing ....... doe that mean anything to anyone?

Hope this helps.

DB

When you go back pleeeease get a print out, its the cars fingerprint and without it any future corrections are without fundation.

Thanks for the responses. Some googling over the last few days threw up this site, which seems to have the Visualiner machine you were talking about, drummerboy. Blanch is a lot closer to me than Mullingar, though! Incidentally, what tyres did you get? I'm contemplating going the whole hog and getting a new set of tyres while I'm at it.

I'll probably get this done in the next week or two and report back. Tony, I'll make sure I get a printout, and I'll post it here for your perusal...!

Cheers,

Si

I went for the Dunlop SP9000 (The Lexus specific ones made in Japan) in the end............. €180 each fitted and balanced.

Yep, currently trying to decide between these and the Goodyear F1 GSD3. Probably leaning towards the Goodyear for some reason, based on nothing whatsoever. Both tyres are being offered at the same price, so it's a straightforward either/or.

I spoke to Dave McCann this morning. He seems like a knowledgable and personable chap. I'll probably call out to see him on Monday. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Si

Thanks for the responses. Some googling over the last few days threw up this site, which seems to have the Visualiner machine you were talking about, drummerboy. Blanch is a lot closer to me than Mullingar, though! Incidentally, what tyres did you get? I'm contemplating going the whole hog and getting a new set of tyres while I'm at it.

I'll probably get this done in the next week or two and report back. Tony, I'll make sure I get a printout, and I'll post it here for your perusal...!

Cheers,

Si

Please do. The machine looks the muts i'm sure things will work out just fine :D Oh on the tyre note i think GSD F1 is the one.

So, I picked up the car yesterday evening with 4 refurbished alloys, 4 new Goodyear F1s and the alignment done.

First of all, the alloys look so much better. Certainly I'll miss the Lexus Diamond finish for a couple of days while I get used to them, but they really did a fantastic job on what were pretty rough-looking wheels. Excellent stuff.

The tyres are the canine's danglies. I wasn't going for any heroics, but as soon as I pulled away I could feel the difference. Everything just feels more "solid" and despite hearing various reports about the Goodyears being noisy etc, well, let's just say that the Kumhos they replaced were obviously worse than I realised. They also look the business, which is nice!

Which brings us to the geometry. Most things were fine, and only received small adjustments. However, the castor angle on both fronts was quite far out of spec, and the right front they couldn't bring back into spec on this attempt. The view was that something might be bent after a meeting with pot-hole or kerb, but they want me to come back in a week or two after everything has settled down and they'll have another look at it (free of charge). If they can't sort it out, they'll at least try to diagnose the problem, and Dave says he'll get onto his uncle who's involved with Lexus servicing over here to see what's required to fix it.

Now, Mr. Bones, I got a printout of the report (which I've scanned in but don't know how to include here), but their printer cartridge was screwed and so the red numbers which indicate measurements out of spec simply didn't print!! This is unfortunate, I think you'll agree, as they're probably more interesting than the numbers that are within tolerance. From memory, the right front castor was 3deg42mins, which seems quite far out of the min-max range of 5deg16" to 6deg16", but then again, I haven't the first clue about any of this! :unsure:

Talking to Dave afterwards, he pointed out the castor result, and that this will affect handling rather than tyre wear. He explained that the steering won't recentre itself properly, and that I might feel the handling not being quite right. In short, I very much got the impression he knew what he was talking about, and that he'll be doing his best to sort out the problem. I can't ask for more than that.

So, all in all, I'm very happy with the standard of service and quality of work from Dave McCann tyres. Anyone looking for somewhere in Dublin for this kind of thing could do a lot worse. Plus, I felt the prices were reasonably competitive, and he threw in some decent discounts for getting a fair bit done in one go.

I'll let you know how I get on with the return visit in a few weeks. Meanwhile, if you have any thoughts Tony, I'd love to hear them. I can email you a copy of the report if you PM me your email address.

Cheers

Si

Cheers Tony. Sent you on the details.

Si

Got them, as you said it a sort of 'read' between the empty lines report, but i can establish most of the outcome. The 'Golden' rule of geometry recovery is 'start' at the back of the car, reason for this the modern car is two parallelograms, upper and lower, any adjustments done to the rear will shear the parallelograms lateral and diagonally and involve front angles like castor. So why did they leave the osr camber @ 11' neg when its setting is 55'neg!... the wheels position is to high, this will push the upper parallelogram forward lateral and lower the castor angle, as things stand now the car is diagonally un-balanced. Did they explain why the camber on the osr was left at 11'.

Did they explain why the camber on the osr was left at 11'.

They didn't explain, and I didn't ask!

Last night was my first time on a proper spin since I had the work done, and to be honest, I wasn't that happy. I still have the shaking at higher speeds (not sure if I'm being over-picky on this one!) and I still have the uneasy feeling I'm going to lose the back end even on something as innocuous as a roundabout. I couldn't decide if it's simply that I'm still getting used to RWD, or whether something more sinister is going on.

What do you think I should tell them when I go back in a couple of weeks? I'd like to seem like I know what I'm talking about, and to be honest, I think they'll respond to that. We'll see.

Tony, thanks for this. It's great to have an expert to explain what's going on.

Si

Did they explain why the camber on the osr was left at 11'.

They didn't explain, and I didn't ask!

Last night was my first time on a proper spin since I had the work done, and to be honest, I wasn't that happy. I still have the shaking at higher speeds (not sure if I'm being over-picky on this one!) and I still have the uneasy feeling I'm going to lose the back end even on something as innocuous as a roundabout. I couldn't decide if it's simply that I'm still getting used to RWD, or whether something more sinister is going on.

What do you think I should tell them when I go back in a couple of weeks? I'd like to seem like I know what I'm talking about, and to be honest, I think they'll respond to that. We'll see.

Tony, thanks for this. It's great to have an expert to explain what's going on.

Si

when you go back if you have 'any' problems get them to phone me at work UK 01923 234666 and i will explain for you :D . The vibration is not geometrical its balance, the Lex needs a certain type of balance, i did write a post on this topic under 'wheel balance why it goes wrong' .... have a read.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links