Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bt Internet - Scam Mail

Rodders_UK

I just got this from "Support@bt.com", with a file attached that scans clean for viruses but is probably a trojan

Best not clicked on

===================================================

Hello from BT Internet!

Recently we have undergone changes in the way we operate. From now on you can get a 4 megabyte connection speed as standard and we are happy for all our existing customers to benefit from our new high-speed Internet access.

For ease of use we have attached the new settings needed to enable this option. Please run the attached tool and follow the on-screen options. The process is fully automated so you need not worry about manual configuration.

If you find any problems then please contact us on 0845 600 600.

Virtually yours,

Sandra Hays

British Telecom Communications

I have had an e.mail from Support@bt.com addressed to the system administrator but our anti virus software blocks it and reports that it contains a trojan horse. I have enough sh** on the system without adding any trojan horse sh** as well :lol:

4 megabyte broadband, eh?  That's a 32Mbit connection, what a load of b*****ks.

Just thought this through, but unless i completely missed something.

Internet connection is measured and sold using browser speeds (bytes) and internet speed is measured in bits.

That's why on a 512kb connection you only receive a max of 64kbps download :S

:: i am in IT, but network speed vs internet speed has always been a confusing subject for me :: :huh:

Strictly speaking, ut's even more complex than that mate.

A connection speed is (strictly speaking) measured in BAUD per second. A Baud is a change in state from a zero bit to a one bit, or vice versa. If you were only sending hex A or hex 5 (i.e. 1010 or 0101) then Baud speed could also be measured in bits per second.

Most people, however, nowadays measure connection speed in bits per second. There are 8 bits in a byte, but if you are using a parity bit too, then there are 9 bits in a byte. This is why, as you said, when you have a speed of (say) 512Kb Kilo BITS) per second then you may see it reported as 64KB (kilo BYTES). Generally, a small "b" refers to bits and a capital "B" refers to BYTES.

(yeah I know)

A connection speed is (strictly speaking) measured in BAUD per second.  A Baud is a change in state from a zero bit to a one bit, or vice versa.  If you were only sending hex A or hex 5 (i.e. 1010 or 0101) then Baud speed could also be measured in bits per second.

Most people, however, nowadays measure connection speed in bits per second.  There are 8 bits in a byte, but if you are using a parity bit too, then there are 9 bits in a byte.  This is why, as you said, when you have a speed of (say) 512Kb Kilo BITS) per second then you may see it reported as 64KB (kilo BYTES).  Generally, a small "b" refers to bits and a capital "B" refers to BYTES.

(yeah I know)

WICKED :D that for the first time, since University, has that ever made sense! :D

Cheers Rodders :) :hehe::driving:

A connection speed is (strictly speaking) measured in BAUD per second.  A Baud is a change in state from a zero bit to a one bit, or vice versa.  If you were only sending hex A or hex 5 (i.e. 1010 or 0101) then Baud speed could also be measured in bits per second.

Most people, however, nowadays measure connection speed in bits per second.  There are 8 bits in a byte, but if you are using a parity bit too, then there are 9 bits in a byte.  This is why, as you said, when you have a speed of (say) 512Kb Kilo BITS) per second then you may see it reported as 64KB (kilo BYTES).  Generally, a small "b" refers to bits and a capital "B" refers to BYTES.

(yeah I know)

Now I am really confused :duh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links