Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 300 Sport Cross

Kent

Hi all,

I have the chance to buy an IS 300 Sport Cross in Black with 49K on the clock and Lexus history although I assume that it will need its 50K service right away. It is an April 2002 model and is described to me as in excellent condition with the exception of one minor rear bumper scuff and a dentmaster (£50) job on the lower drivers door. Now this is a car that I really, really fancy but I know absolutely nothing about them having previously had the GS 300. What sort of money should I be offering and are there any bits of advice ( other than the excellent guide elsewhere on the forum) that members would like to offer? I have arranged to see it on Tuesday but it would be nice to go armed with a bit of knowledge.

Cheers,

Kent

I think the 50k is a minor service anyway mate so shouldn't be a massive cost unless the car is in a badly way!

Just check the alloys and the radio to make sure it's playing CD's ok, gearbox should be fine as she'll be an autobox anyway! To be honest I'm not really sure what else there is to check on the 300 - the clutch and gearbox were an issue on the 200 manual but they're not present on the 300 anyway...

Maybe open the window and listen for knocking noises when you're turning corners as they would indicate that the balljoints or brake pads could do with replacing?

Good luck anyway :)

And also check the scabby Lexus alloys - but if they are the standard 16" rims I imagine you'll be wanting to upgrade anyway.

A couple of not very good pics which have been sent to me. alloys are described as very good but I don't know if anyone can tell from the photos what size they are or if they are standard.

Cheers,

Kent.

http://www.blackpooluk.co.uk/Lexus1.jpg

http://www.blackpooluk.co.uk/Lexus3.jpg

looks a very good car

Couldn't wait so I asked my car dealer mate to go take a look for me. He describes the car as mint with the exception of the almost imperceptible pin ding and bumper scuff. Tyres and alloys are excellent (forgot to ask the size) and Sat/Nav works fine. It has a full Lexus history although not always at the strictly correct mileage. Same dealer supplied and serviced all its life @ 11,508 miles, 20,009 miles, 31,167 miles and recently MOT and service in April at 45,144 miles. It has now done 49K so I don't anticipate any immediate costs. I assume that the next service will be due in April 2006 or does anybody know differently? Two owners on the log book one of which was the supplying dealer (Lexus Bolton). I am so impressed that I have negotiated a price which I think is reasonable and have reserved it with a deposit and will pick it up next week. Not often I buy a car without seeing it but I didn't want to miss the opportunity. There seems to be so few of them around, Lexus have only a handful and a search of Autotrader revealed only 19 nationwide. It will be fantastic to get behind the wheel of a Lexus once again.

Cheers,

Kent

The next service will be due at 50K or a year after the 40K, whichever comes sooner - in this case the 50K

The 50K is a minor lube service so I would ask them to do it and stamp the book, free of charge, before you part with your Dinaro. It will cost the dealer less than £50.

The next service will be due at 50K or a year after the 40K, whichever comes sooner - in this case the 50K

The 50K is a minor lube service so I would ask them to do it and stamp the book, free of charge, before you part with your Dinaro. It will cost the dealer less than £50.

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately it is not a Lexus dealer I am buying it from so no chance of a free lube service. Is there any reason why I should not let my local Toyata dealer service it now that it is out of warranty? He is literally just up the road from me and is quite happy to do Lexus servicing. I have a good relationship with them and have received wonderful treatment from them in the past.

Cheers,

Kent

Just read this thread - I own a 300 Sports X (Sept 02) and the performance is supurb. The write ups say that the 'estate' functionality is limited and not worth the extra - I disagree and find the folding seats and the back door a huge advantage when transporting large or awkward items.

Mine has done 52K with no problems and I think you will find that the CD is the newer model so will not return the renowned error. The standard wheels are 17" and if they look like re-furbs will have been replaced under warranty - these are easier to keep clean. I use a Toyota Dealer for some services - minor ones are no problem but bear in mind that they will not have the dignostic kit to identify potential problems so best use Lexus for major services (your next one will be 60K).

As for price, I would be interested in what non-Lexus dealers are asking - looking to change mine for the IS250 in December and may contemplate a private sale if Lexus don't make me an offer I can't refuse.

You will enjoy the car but only expect about 26 to the gallon.

Good luck

Just read this thread - I own a 300 Sports X (Sept 02) and the performance is supurb.  The write ups say that the 'estate' functionality is limited and not worth the extra - I disagree and find the folding seats and the back door a huge advantage when transporting large or awkward items.

Mine has done 52K with no problems and I think you will find that the CD is the newer model so will not return the renowned error.  The standard wheels are 17" and if they look like re-furbs will have been replaced under warranty - these are easier to keep clean.  I use a Toyota Dealer for some services - minor ones are no problem but bear in mind that they will not have the dignostic kit to identify potential problems so best use Lexus for major services (your next one will be 60K).

As for price, I would be interested in what non-Lexus dealers are asking - looking to change mine for the IS250 in December and may contemplate a private sale if Lexus don't make me an offer I can't refuse.

You will enjoy the car but only expect about 26 to the gallon.

Good luck

Thanks for a very informative post Andy. I have a small hotel in Blackpool and the Sport Cross will be more than big enough for my needs. 26MPG is no problem for me as I probably only average 6/7000 miles a year. I am very fortunate in having a friend in the trade who runs his own small car sales business and he was good enough to look it over and negotiate a price for me. Obviously I pay him a commision but from what I can gather so far it was bought in by the trade at close to 12K. This is below Glass's Guide. Car is an April 2002 with 49,000 miles.

Cheers,

Kent

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links