Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Braking Noises!

kev0312

I have an X reg is200se which has been perfect for the last 2 years.

Over the last few weeks, I have started to hear a very quiet knocking noise when braking ( but not every time??). At the same time the steering has felt off so took it to have tracking fixed.

The garage said that tracking was fine but wheels needed to be balanced. Have since had this done with no success.

I wouldn't have a clue what to do myself, but don't want to go to a a garage and be shafted by them. Due a baby very soon and want problem sorted beforehand, hopefully not for extortionate lexus prices

Any ideas??

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I too hear a noise when i press the brake pedal, SOMETIMES. Its very quiet but its not the knocking sound you talked about, its more like a squeek... yes thats right a squuek thats last as long as my foot is on the break. Its very faint and almost inaudible but im worried its the begging of soemthing major. I only bought the car yesterday off eBay. (any thoughts did i get rinsed or did i get a good deal?) New to Lexus and new to LOC (Gold) so would appreciate any pointers on what it maybe and how to fix it cheaply. :driving:

2000 W reg, 109k on the clock, SE, Auto, Navigator, good condition 6,800 sterling???

Thanks

Welcome to LOC fellas, for the first one it could be dodgy ball joints or just purely pads that are low as they have a tendancy to knock about when there's not much left... As for steering maybe a full geometry is required, ie checking camber etc as well - that should sort it out... Are they tyres ok? Mine got a bit floaty when the insides of the fronts and backs were worn too much....

As for the squeaky noise, mine was doing that and has stopped now that I've had the pads and disks replaced :) I think Lexus do free Vehicle Safety Check's which would indicate if they were worn....

is my w reg a Mark I?

Also how much are a new pair or 2 pairs (if all wheels) pads fitted going to set me back? With the insurance having just cost me 1050 sterling and road tax tomorrow wanting 165 im brass as a monkeys gonads if u know what i mean.

Thanks

is my w reg a Mark I?

To be honest mate pretty much all IS's are the same up until this new one was released which I guess you can call the MK2 - that's the IS220 and the IS250....

The only thing that changed across the years was trim and things like curtain airbags, electrical passenger seat on newer models, think the majority of changes have been cosmetic, different colour lamp housings, interior etc etc....

Welcome to LOC fellas, for the first one it could be dodgy ball joints or just purely pads that are low as they have a tendancy to knock about when there's not much left... As for steering maybe a full geometry is required, ie checking camber etc as well - that should sort it out... Are they tyres ok? Mine got a bit floaty when the insides of the fronts and backs were worn too much....

As for the squeaky noise, mine was doing that and has stopped now that I've had the pads and disks replaced :) I think Lexus do free Vehicle Safety Check's which would indicate if they were worn....

Cheers for the response.

The tyres are only 3 months old and brake pads and front discs only about 15 months old. Somebody else told me lexus are very heavy on the front discs and pads, so I will get the pads checked to see if this is the problem.

The other reply mentioned squeeking. Mine also did this when first bought. My mate copper slipped the back of the brake pads and cleaned up the edge of the discs. It worked a treat!

Could be a few things mate...it's possible that the caliper could be sticking a bit, get the front jacked up and have everything apart, clean it all up and copper slip everything the pads and shims! Check that the discs are not warped as well!

Other than that, Chris (The Don) had a similar case a while back...basically he got under the front of the car and lubed up all the moving joints around the steering/suspesion area. That ended up fixing the issue!

Good luck and welcome to the club!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so thats the pads sorted.  When and how would you know the brake discs need changing as opposed to the pads which are more than 3mm left for me (i think, will look again)

Worn disc rotors are fairly easy to judge if they are worn, there will be a small lip develop on the outer edge as they wear.

To get an accurate measurement you'll need to measure them with a caliper and compare against the recommended specifications - Mr T will be able to tell you these.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links