Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rx300 Se 2005 In Europe

Thought I'd post a few things I found about while driving my RX to St. Tropez this summer.

I rang Lexus HQ and asked about headlamp deflectors - they advised that a Halfords set was just as good as what a dealer would fit. They were easy to put on, and I didn't get flashed once while driving at night.

Halfords do an excellent pre-cut bulb replacement set for the new RX. It was less than a tenner and meant I could satisfy the French law that requires you have a set on board. Quite how much use it would be in the case of a failed light I dont know though :-)

The SAT nav was great all through France and performed an excellent job of navigating me directly to the Royal Palace in Monaco on a day out - would have preferred a car park, but the tourists seemed to appreciate the RX! BTW. When you cross a country border the Sat Nav displays a picture of the national flag, which I thought was cool.

An In-Car DVD was great with a back seat full of kids. Before we left I managed to get a 8.5" multi-region DVD with three set of infra-red headphones for £400, which was money well spent.

The Dutch like their caravanning as much as the British.

Round trip was 2,000 miles and the car performed faultlessly.

Hi Andrew,

National flag thing sounds very cool! I am planning to drive to near the place you went in the coming months. I have a couple of questions:

1. Did you have your DVD / back seat LCDs fitted by Lexus? If not, could you please recommend the make you used and the place you had the kit fitted?

2. I noticed something very strange with the SAT NAV. I put my final destination and it calculated the total distance being around 800 miles. But when I did the same calculation on Via Michellin website http://www.viamichelin.co.uk it showed me around 600 miles.... 200 miles shorter! I am a bit confused and don't really know which to believe. Has anyone experienced this?

Sami

Hi Andrew,

National flag thing sounds very cool! I am planning to drive to near the place you went in the coming months. I have a couple of questions:

1. Did you have your DVD / back seat LCDs fitted by Lexus? If not, could you please recommend the make you used and the place you had the kit fitted?

2. I noticed something very strange with the SAT NAV. I put my final destination and it calculated the total distance being around 800 miles. But when I did the same calculation on Via Michellin website http://www.viamichelin.co.uk it showed me around 600 miles.... 200 miles shorter! I am a bit confused and don't really know which to believe. Has anyone experienced this?

Sami

Funny things Sat Nav. Have you actually started off on the route until the voice guide takes over? I think that just imputting a route will give you an inaccurate figure until you get going. Probably calculates it as the crow flies. I have been as far as La Manga and it was not uncommon for the distance to adjust itself a few hundred yards into the journey.

Kent.

Funny things Sat Nav. Have you actually started off on the route until the voice guide takes over? I think that just imputting a route will give you an inaccurate figure until you get going. Probably calculates it as the crow flies. I have been as far as La Manga and it was not uncommon for the distance to adjust itself a few hundred yards into the journey.

Kent.

No, I was stationary, but will try again. I am still very surprised that it could be mistaken by 200 miles :crybaby:

Kent.

No, I was stationary, but will try again. I am still very surprised that it could be mistaken by 200 miles :crybaby:

I tried again with same results :duh:

I wonder wheter the Lexus is counting the sea distance between Dover and Calais?

Kent.

I wonder wheter the Lexus is counting the sea distance between Dover and Calais?

I put Monaco Palace in as a destination in my unit this morning and it shows a distance of 1,307 miles from Blackpool. Blackpool to Dover is around 310 miles so my Sat Nav tell me that Dover to Monaco is slightly under 1000 miles. I am using 2004/5 Version one (the current one) on an IS 300. However the Michelin site is definitely accurate and it shows it at 200 miles or so less so I assume that the route chosen by the Sat Nav is quite different.

Kent.

I put Monaco Palace in as a destination in my unit this morning and it shows a distance of 1,307 miles from Blackpool. Blackpool to Dover is around 310 miles so my Sat Nav tell me that Dover to Monaco is slightly under 1000 miles. I am using 2004/5 Version one (the current one) on an IS 300. However the Michelin site is definitely accurate and it shows it at 200 miles or so less so I assume that the route chosen by the Sat Nav is quite different.

Might be to do with your preferences, avoiding toll roads or not, always use motorways etc.

Might be to do with your preferences, avoiding toll roads or not, always use motorways etc.

Yep! Works now on mine. I had enabled all of the Motorway/Toll Road etc options but have just upgraded my DVD so I assume it may have reset it. Distance to Monaco now agrees roughly with the Michelin Map.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links