Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

60k & 70k Service Coming Up!

mcwatson

Dealer or Local Garage!  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Dealer or Local Garage!

• Dealer
    • Local Garage

I know this question has been asked before and I have read the replies but wanted to collect the views based on my car's circumstances.

I've always believed that a dealer should do the servicing for future resale values but my car has done higher than average miles so starting consider the options.

I have a 51 plate IS200 Sport. Registered in Dec 2001, its now done 59k miles and is shortly due the big (and expensive) 60k service. Was considering the Lexus service plan to cover the 60k and 70k services which is cheaper but still looking at around £600.

I know a very good friend who is very experienced in servicing cars (30 years) and has offered to do my services for a lot less. I'm starting to think that cos of the higher mileage, is the lexus dealer stamp really worth the extra money.....

Any views welcomed!

PS. Just in case anyone suggests its cheaper to do myself, have no idea under the bonnet, just drive, I don't tinker......

I get the dealer to do the servicing for peace of mind that everything has been done that Lexus would do, cause they know the car best etc and for resale value. But I'm starting to get other stuff done elsewhere like fitting new discs and pads myself as the cars done almost 80k now and is 6 years old in January.

• 2 weeks later...
If it's out of warranty I would have it done by an independent garage and keep copies of receipts for everything.

Yes, the car is now out of warranty. I didn't renew it after the 3 year cover expired.

Hello - not sure if you've booked your service but recently I had my IS200SE serviced at Nationwide Autocentres who follow the manufacturer guidelines. This was the major 80K service. I feel they did an OK job for £130. They can do both Major Service and MOT for £99 if you have a tesco clubcard. However they may charge extra for special oil.

:)

If it's out of warranty I would have it done by an independent garage and keep copies of receipts for everything.

Yes, the car is now out of warranty. I didn't renew it after the 3 year cover expired.

Hello - not sure if you've booked your service but recently I had my IS200SE serviced at Nationwide Autocentres who follow the manufacturer guidelines. This was the major 80K service. I feel they did an OK job for £130. They can do both Major Service and MOT for £99 if you have a tesco clubcard. However they may charge extra for special oil.

:)

I've had my last three cars serviced and mot'd by Nationwide Autocentres, and I can't fault them. When there have been no problems, they have told me that there are NO problems - and not charged me for some imaginary hiccup. Personally I'd take it to a garage like Nationwide Autocentres instead of Lexus - after all, a mechanic is a mechanic whoever they work for. The next dealer when you come to trade it in probably won't even be interested WHO serviced the car, as long as the book has been stamped every year/service time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links