Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Stock Pioneer Radio Troubleshooting

kratbomc

SOS. Help!!! Any advice from the Lexus gurus???

The stock Pioneer radio for my 1990 LS400 is not working. I bought a replacement on eBay and swapped it in but to no avail. Same symptoms... The power is on because the display lights and it tunes to a station but there is no sound. Below is more symptom history and details.

How do go about determining whether it's a) both radio heads are bust, B) the amplifier is kaput (and by the way, where is the amp?), maybe c) an absent security code is keeping my radio from working, or d) none of the above.

The history of failure: First, I had to coax the radio on occasionally by pressing the on button repeatedly before it would go on. Then it would go on after repeatedly pressing the on button but the volume was faint, almost inaudible. Now nothing except the display light witht he tuner showing a legitimate signal station.

Thanks!!!

Hi,

Sounds like its the amp,ive the same sort of problem with the radio in my car.It was sometimes faint when turned on and other times really loud.Now i have no sound but everything lights up and works apart from the sound.Not to sure of where the amp is,could be built into the radio unit :unsure:

The amp is located on one side of the boot under the autochanger. May want to check if you have a water in the corners of your boot floor as the boot seal used to leak on early LS's and can short out the amp.

If it is sat in a pool of water than that is probably the problem :zee: , if not then the amp may be knackered anyway or it could be another dodgy radio.

To be honest though the LS radios do tend to last really well and you don't get many problems with them.

If it is the amp then they can be bought for about £180 +vat.

Another option for the radio is to get someone to look at it. A company called Autosound do the repairs for Lexus at the moment but don't know how to get in touch with them i'm afraid.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links