Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car Hire In New York

vinokirk

Im hoping to take the missis to NY just before christmas.

Just wondering if anyones been before and have you hired a car??

I'm 21, would that be ok?

Whilst were on the topic, anyone reccomend any hotels?

if you're under 25 then you would most probably have to pay daily surchages and also they bump other things up so tbh I wouldnt bother (some companies and some companies in certain states wont allow under 25's anyway), just get a cab!

Vinokirk,

I travel to NY VERY regularly and I would say don't even bother thinking about hiring a car, you would only spend your day sitting in traffic (as you're under 25 it would be a problem anyway). Taxi's are VERY cheap and the subway is a good way to get from one end to the other quickly.

I usually stay at The Palace Hotel (corner of 50th & Madison) - but like Mr M says I don't pay the bills either.

Have fun

Regards

The Ed

Yeah, I'd say all that everyone else has said. I went to New York last year and read quite a bit on it beforehand. Everything I read said dont hire a car as the parking costs are a nightmare. Tube's good and cheap, you can also get a guide ticket bus tour which you can get off and get back on...probably best staying clear of the hire car unless money's no object.....and you're very patient :P

Are you flying into JFK? - There are set fares from all three airports (Laguardia, JFK and Newark) for taxi's etc. I never use them as Virgin provide a limo service but from memory they are arounf $30 - $35 fixed so even if you get stuck in traffic (and you will just trying to get clear of JFK !!) you will still only pay the set fare.

Once you're on the island if you jump in a cab to get anywhere it will be very cheap compared to over here and you will ALWAYS be able to get a cab as there are bazillions of them. The only time you may have an issue hailing a yellow cab is around 4:00pm when the day/night shift swaps over and they are all heading back to their depots but the turnaround is pretty quick so you shouldn't find it much of an issue.

Hope you have a fun time

Regards

The Ed

Don't bother driving in Manhattan, it is mental and you cannot park anywhere anyhow. I have stayed in the Holiday Inn downtown (Chinatown) and it is a lot cheaper than the bigger hotels, not too far from Little Italy either. Times Square is a short tube ride away :winky:

Right so no car it is!!! Hopefully we're going for a week around 15th-22rd December. I was thinking of flying with BA, £578 for the two of us! Now to look for some hotels!!

Have been to New York a couple of times and stayed at Sheraton Manhatten at a cost of around £100 for a twin room per night around August time.

I have friends who have been recently and they stayed in Queens once and also Brooklyn where prices are a litle more reasonable around £60/night.. Both Queens and Brooklyn are in the suburbs across the Hudson and easily accessible from JFK and Manhatten.

Have a great time and make sure you take a bus tour of the city both during the day and at night as soon as you can this will give you an idea of where to visit to get the most out of your stay.

As for the car, don't bother the subway is so cheap and taxis are plentiful.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links