Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ramadan 2005

Anees

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Explaining the meaning of Ramadan...and

2) Giving a link to a website which further explains the history and which in turn gives links to a plethora of Islamic websites.

Now if I posted a Happy Easter to all Christians and then explained what Easter was all about and went on to give a link to ....etc etc... then what sort of can of worms might I be opening?

I have to confess to a little unease with the depth of this post and given that religion can be a great divider as well as a unifier then a simple "Happy Ramadan" might have been a bit more appropiate.

Er... :duh: What have a started? :tomato:

Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone it was just an innocent well wishing thats all, same as we do at Christmas, Easter etc. I thought it would be a good idea to explain Ramadan and to provide a quick link inorder to prempt questions and help fellow members that may be interested in finding out abit more. Ramadan is not as widely understood in the UK as Christmas, Easter, Chinese New Year etc so I felt an explanation was appropriate. The link I posted was the result of a quick google search; I honestly didn't check what other sites it links too.. :D I WAS NOT trying to force religion on anyone.

Agree with Lex-holic about things being too PC. My mum works in education and always tells me about new terms your not supposed to use; can't use the term whiteboard/blackboard in the classroom any more. You can't say "Black person", have to say Afrian Carribean Decent etc...... I mean come on, the same terms were used when I was a child and have been used for years and not caused offense...lilly livered liberals. :angry:

We all know we are different, the differences should be embraced and celebrated, not covered up.

PS.  How the heck do you guys manage to fast for a whole month ?  I can't go 3 hours without calories.

Dicipline!

That's something I lack in when it comes to food I'm afraid :blink:

lol...funnily enuff I love food and if I had the opportunity then I will eat 24/7 :blush: But I do, 11 months of it :P :D

Lex-aholic, you should try to fast for one day...see what happends....only sunset-till- dawn :whistling::lol: :winky:

Er... :duh: What have a started? :tomato:

Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone it was just an innocent well wishing thats all, same as we do at Christmas, Easter etc. I thought it would be a good idea to explain Ramadan and to provide a quick link inorder to prempt questions and help fellow members that may be interested in finding out abit more. Ramadan is not as widely understood in the UK as Christmas, Easter, Chinese New Year etc so I felt an explanation was appropriate. The link I posted was the result of a quick google search; I honestly didn't check what other sites it links too.. :D I WAS NOT trying to force religion on anyone.

Agree with Lex-holic about things being too PC. My mum works in education and always tells me about new terms your not supposed to use; can't use the term whiteboard/blackboard in the classroom any more. You can't say "Black person", have to say Afrian Carribean Decent etc...... I mean come on, the same terms were used when I was a child and have been used for years and not caused offense...lilly livered liberals. :angry:

We all know we are different, the differences should be embraced and celebrated, not covered up.

You gotta question it, why PC is "too PC". As you stated about Black/White Boards and "Black person"....not too long ago the "N" word was "norm" (still is in some places but won't go into it) amonst other words and phrases. As time changes, people need to change with it or they will be locked up in this messed up and weird world!!! So to some "white board" can be offence and to some it isn't! You just gotta move with the time!

"who moved my cheese" - personal joke, if you seen the film, then you'll know what I am talking about!!!!

PS. How the heck do you guys manage to fast for a whole month ? I can't go 3 hours without calories

Having just come back from spending a few years in the birthplace of Islam I can tell you most muslims eat MORE at Ramadan as they don't eat during daylight hours, they usually sleep, then they stuff themselves all night.

This is hardly fasting and requires little discipline.

The Saudi muslim workers are on reduced hours for the whole month and are then off totally for Eid (the celebration) Except for the indian/Pakistani muslims who have to cover the late shop opening hours.

The rest of us infidels work normal hours but we're still not allowed to eat smoke or play music during daylight hours for a month.

This is of course only the saudi's who stay in the country, as all the wealthy ones go on holiday out of the country for a month.

I am glad to say we don't live in such a hypocritical dictatorship here in the UK so Ramadan Muburrak to the LOC muslims.

PS.  How the heck do you guys manage to fast for a whole month ?  I can't go 3 hours without calories.

Dicipline!

That's something I lack in when it comes to food I'm afraid :blink:

lol...funnily enuff I love food and if I had the opportunity then I will eat 24/7 :blush: But I do, 11 months of it :P :D

Lex-aholic, you should try to fast for one day...see what happends....only sunset-till- dawn :whistling::lol: :winky:

I know what'll happen if I tried for one day - I'D PASS OUT !! :lol:

Fair play to ya for having that kind of discipline. The other problem I have is that I'm sat amongst a bunch of munchers in the office.. :D

PS. How the heck do you guys manage to fast for a whole month ? I can't go 3 hours without calories

The rest of us infidels work normal hours but we're still not allowed to eat smoke or play music during daylight hours for a month.

Blimey - you gotta go without music as well ? What do you listen to in the Lex ? :blink:

Blimey - you gotta go without music as well ? What do you listen to in the Lex ?

I didn't have a lexus in Saudi, as a good car is wasted over there. I had a focus(which I loved as it was 7 grand brand new).

I used to listen to MP3's as all the tapes/cd's used to melt.

You had to turn the stereo right down so they couldn't hear it outside the car or the religious police would give you a good shoe-ing. :ph34r:

Hey Anees,

Don't go apologising for posting something you believe in.  It hasn't hurt anyone, and I don't feel offended by it.

It's called freedom of speech bud. :winky:

Thanks mate. Its just not the reaction I was expecting.. :blush:

@Adz - yep your right! Not exactly healthy either is it stuffing yourself all at once?! :lol: We have some family friends who's children attend an Islamic School and they are off school for the whole of the fasting period and Eid! This is instead of the the summer holidays however.. :whistling:

Its probably more difficult fasting in the UK then in muslim countries - your employer isn't going to let you off work because your fasting are they. :P

Just to clarify fasting (in this case) generally means:

- No Eating,

- No Drinking,

- No Swearing,

A few other conditions too which I could provide a link to explain..but I won't this time :lol:

Blimey - you gotta go without music as well ? What do you listen to in the Lex ?

I didn't have a lexus in Saudi, as a good car is wasted over there. I had a focus(which I loved as it was 7 grand brand new).

I used to listen to MP3's as all the tapes/cd's used to melt.

You had to turn the stereo right down so they couldn't hear it outside the car or the religious police would give you a good shoe-ing. :ph34r:

All the tapes/cd's melted ??? :crying: That must have been sooooo hot, sounds like an outdoor sauna !! :lol:

That sounds like a really strict religious police force. I think that's where we're lucky over here with our freedom of choice.

See, I'm learning loads about your religion. :)

Hey Anees,

Don't go apologising for posting something you believe in.  It hasn't hurt anyone, and I don't feel offended by it.

@Adz - yep your right! Not exactly healthy either is it stuffing yourself all at once?! :lol: We have some family friends who's children attend an Islamic School and they are off school for the whole of the fasting period and Eid! This is instead of the the summer holidays however.. :whistling:

Its probably more difficult fasting in the UK then in muslim countries - your employer isn't going to let you off work because your fasting are they. :P

- No Eating,

- No Drinking,

- No Swearing,

A few other conditions too which I could provide a link to explain..but I won't this time :lol:

Time for a LOC group hug peeps !! :lol:

Its probably more difficult fasting in the UK then in muslim countries - your employer isn't going to let you off work because your fasting are they.

If you're an asian muslim you don't get off work in Saudi either and believe me the asian guys put in serious overtime at Ramadan covering for everyone else, with no extra money of course.

You shouldn't get off work because you're fasting, but as with the bible, the Quran is interpreted differently by different people.

It basically comes down to "he who has the gold makes the rules".(or in this case oil)

See, I'm learning loads about your religion.

....I hope that wasn't aimed at me, i'm not religious (i'm a disciple of Adz-ism).

Hey Anees,

- No Eating,

- No Drinking,

- No Swearing,

My wife is a schools counsellor and started speaking with a lot of kids with an Islamic background. Being white middle class CoE she has had little contact with Islam. I forward the link to her and she says thanks she found it useful!

happy ramadam guys! :)

Correction Steve, Ramadhan or Ramzan :whistling: :winky:

Got several minutes before we break our fast and well deserved ciggie right after that :blush: :winky:

6.38PM here Mr Lex! Just got back in from work..

You may as well give up smoking too..... :lol::whistling:

happy ramadam guys! :)

Correction Steve, Ramadhan or Ramzan :whistling: :winky:

Got several minutes before we break our fast and well deserved ciggie right after that :blush: :winky:

6.38PM here Mr Lex! Just got back in from work..

You may as well give up smoking too..... :lol::whistling:

6.33 down here :P :D

Smoking....hate it until 6.33pm :whistling: :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links