Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 To Is300

I have to say I have only ever had one auto, BMW 330Ci - lovely motor and really accelerated well - BMW 330Ci

I have no idea why the manual car exsists any more, modern auto's will change gear better than your average driver. And having driven an auto Nissan 200SX Turbo, I was gobsmacked how well that went. The auto kept the turbo pressure in all the way, where as I am sure if I were changing gear I would probably drop out of turbo pressure on each gear change, but then again, I am not that good a driver.

However, saying that, the only time the auto caught me out in the BMW was when I rolled up to a roundabout for example, probably in second gear, I would see a small gap to nip out onto the round about, floor it and the car would have that split second where it has to think about dropping a gear, then giving me the power. In my panic I would floor it and hold it too long vvvvVVVVV! loads of power, so I am then hard on the brakes. It is my own stupid fault, but some mornings through a lack of concentration, the auto would not do quite what I wanted....

Apart from that, I wish I had gone for the IS300 auto now. On paper there seemed so little difference in power I thought I would take the more economical route, hence getting a new IS200. Ah well....

:blush:

Ok, excuse me if i sound stupid, but i knoe a 300 has the steering wheel buttons for changing up and down, does this mean you have to use these ALL the time or can you also let the auto do the work on its own too?

Ok, excuse me if i sound stupid, but i knoe a 300 has the steering wheel buttons for changing up and down, does this mean you have to use these ALL the time or can you also let the auto do the work on its own too?

Yes, just stick it in "Drive" and forget it. Or put it in "Manual" and you have a clutchless manual gearbox with changes operated through the buttons. There is also a power setting for extra oomph if you want it.

Yes, just stick it in "Drive" and forget it. Or put it in "Manual" and you have a clutchless manual gearbox with changes operated through the buttons. There is also a power setting for extra oomph if you want it.

Guys, the 330 has no gear selection on the steering wheel, you flick the gear knob left to go into sport/manual mode and push the gear forward to go down a gear and backward to go up a gear and it changes at the normal auto rate.

The buttons on the steering wheel are for the radio and cruise control only. You can accelerate/deccelerate the car with the buttons when in cruise mode.

Guys, the 330 has no gear selection on the steering wheel, you flick the gear knob left to go into sport/manual mode and push the gear forward to go down a gear and backward to go up a gear and it changes at the normal auto rate.

The buttons on the steering wheel are for the radio and cruise control only. You can accelerate/deccelerate the car with the buttons when in cruise mode.

But the 330 is a BMW. RichOB was referring to the 300, which is a Lexus and does have the steering wheel buttons.

The buttons on the sterring wheel (lexus that is, not B*W), select the highest gear you want to stay in and is not entirely manual. e.g., if you select third gear at a roundabout, the automatic will still accelerate you off as normal but will not change up to fourth until you press the + button or reach the rev limit.

This way, you can use the gears to slow you down then change up a couple of gears before you set off so you don't have to worry about pressing buttons whilst trying to turn the wheel around a rounabout (can be tricky). Once you get used to it, you feel in control without having to concentrate too much - in power mode, can be fun. :D

Just what is it about a manual gearbox that turns so many of the British on? The IS300 Autobox is fast, quick changing and kickdown is zippy enough for most. It also is pretty good on consumption and reliability. Mind you you have to put up with having both hands available for driving and get used to not doing very much with your left foot. You also have to suffer the shame of relaxing whilst in heavy traffic not to mention the nuisance of cruise control.  :yack:  :yack:  Still, even with all these terrible disadvantages I always go for an Auto, no matter what car I drive.  :winky:  :winky:

:lol::lol::lol:

what you want to do is get yourself a nice RS200 problem solved

reports out now :winky:

Eshift will never be quicker than the standard auto mode. You are dreaming.

The actual change isn't quicker for sure, but I much prefer to manually select a lower gear when going for an overtake, rather than just mashing the throttle and waiting for the rather slow-witted (IMO) kickdown.

Why the hell didn't they make the kickdown work properly instead of the stupid sequential arrangement? - it's the only thing I don't like about the 'box.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links