Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearstick Rattle

since about wednesday or thursday i noticed that there was a rattle/vibrating noise coming from the gearstick. obviously, its hard to tell exactly where, but i think it may be the leather gaitor surrounding the gearstick itself.

it sounds like a squeaky kinda vibration and its more audible in 3rd and 5th gears; with almost no noise in 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th.

could it be the gaitor pulling?? or is there a spring (or something like that), that could be iffy??

by the way, the noise is the same whether the car is warm or cold.

any ideas welcomed.

cheers

rob

unscrew the gear knob - twist the gaiter a bit, put back gear knob.

so the gear knob just unscrews straight off ?? what do you mean by twist the gaiter?? gonna give it a try in the morning.

yes it just unscrews - it might be tight.

twist the gaiter - when the knob is off or loose, grab the top of the gaiter and twist it a bit so the whole gaiter twists slightly

unscrew the gear knob - twist the gaiter a bit, put back gear knob.

so the gear knob just unscrews straight off ?? what do you mean by twist the gaiter?? gonna give it a try in the morning.

yes it just unscrews - it might be tight.

twist the gaiter - when the knob is off or loose, grab the top of the gaiter and twist it a bit so the whole gaiter twists slightly

ok, thanks. i'll give it a go tomorrow. what's the logic behind doing this??? will it just re-align the gaiter??

cheers

rob

please please let me know if this stops it, its only my third gear it happens on but its so annoying! :tsktsk:

Also if anyone has an answer to this it would be brilliant, when i turn my stearing wheel to nearly full lock at low speeds ( usually when parking) there is a little squeak comin from the just behind the steering wheel, anyone know whats up and what sorts it out????

Cheers,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links