Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brother's Car Hit

Rob's Lexx

anyway, got a phone call from my bro at half 9 this morning, telling me to come down to where he works coz some :tsktsk: end has smashed into to front of his car (vectra) (this used to be my car a few years back).

anyway, i jump into the lex and head on across town wondering what i'm gonna find when i get there.

pulled into the car park to find carnage!!!!! the waste disposal lorry (one of those big beasts with the lifting claws on the back) had tried to reverse around his car......and been unsuccessful!!!

how on earth he managed to hit it is beyond me!!!

anywayz, the up-shot of it all is that the front bumper was smashed to pieces/bent/mangled, all front lights were smashed (headlights and fogs), the drivers side front wing dented (big time!!) and bonnet shunted out of alignment (due to the wing being knocked in).

fortunately, there were some witnesses and the scrawny little runt of a driver said he'd accept liability (isn't he kind!!!). andy (my bro) said i should have used him as a tooth-pick.....trust me i was tempted :shutit:

only problem, apart from the obvious, is that his insurance company is likely to write the car off and give me the current market value, as opposed to repair the damage. in essence, he's gonna recieve :tsktsk: all cash and have to put a fair amount of his own money down in order to buy a reasonable car!! it'd be so much better if they could just do the repairs as the cars got loads of life still left in it!!!

errrrrr :angry::crybaby: , just before crimbo aswell!!!!

anybody know what happens to the car if they do write it off.......is there any chance i could keep it (instead of it being scrapped). might be able to fix it to a half decent standard over time, or maybe sell it for parts??

cheers

rob

anyway, got a phone call from my bro at half 9 this morning, telling me to come down to where he works coz some :tsktsk: end has smashed into to front of his car (vectra) (this used to be my car a few years back).

anyway, i jump into the lex and head on across town wondering what i'm gonna find when i get there.

pulled into the car park to find carnage!!!!! the waste disposal lorry (one of those big beasts with the lifting claws on the back) had tried to reverse around his car......and been unsuccessful!!!

how on earth he managed to hit it is beyond me!!!

anywayz, the up-shot of it all is that the front bumper was smashed to pieces/bent/mangled, all front lights were smashed (headlights and fogs), the drivers side front wing dented (big time!!) and bonnet shunted out of alignment (due to the wing being knocked in).

fortunately, there were some witnesses and the scrawny little runt of a driver said he'd accept liability (isn't he kind!!!). andy (my bro) said i should have used him as a tooth-pick.....trust me i was tempted :shutit:

only problem, apart from the obvious, is that his insurance company is likely to write the car off and give me the current market value, as opposed to repair the damage. in essence, he's gonna recieve  :tsktsk:  all cash and have to put a fair amount of his own money down in order to buy a reasonable car!! it'd be so much better if they could just do the repairs as the cars got loads of life still left in it!!!

errrrrr :angry:  :crybaby: , just before crimbo aswell!!!!

anybody know what happens to the car if they do write it off.......is there any chance i could keep it (instead of it being scrapped). might be able to fix it to a half decent standard over time, or maybe sell it for parts??

cheers

rob

You can actually buy the car back in some cases, some insures have agreements with local scrap yards and so you may need to enquire with them.

Ask the insurance firm as in many cases you can buy the car back at a bargain price and repair the work yourself.

Glad nobody was hurt.

yea i guess, only problem is that after all the parts have been bought.....its gonna need spraying and the costs all add up!!!

its a case of how much is reasonable to spend on it.

when you say buy the car back....do you mean that the cost of buying it back will be deducted from the insurance company's payout cheque???

yea i guess, only problem is that after all the parts have been bought.....its gonna need spraying and the costs all add up!!!

when you say buy the car back....do you mean that the cost of buying it back will be deducted from the insurance company's payout cheque???

You'll be able to buy all the parts from a breaker's yard for next to nothing, a basic front end respray shouldn't cost more than £250-300

Just talk to the insurer, they'll explain how a buy-back works

You'll be able to buy all the parts from a breaker's yard for next to nothing, a basic front end respray shouldn't cost more than £250-300

Just talk to the insurer, they'll explain how a buy-back works

ok. cheers mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links