Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am after a tow car to get me to and from rallies, but need something that can also double up as a daily driver.

My dad has a 2001 GS430 and I must say its a great car and averages about 27MPG overall (only added this due to reading other threads on MPG!).

Seeing the prices of older 300's it has made me consider the car but after searching for "tow" nothing came up.

Has anyone used them for towing 1400kg odd (trailer+car+tyres) whilst they are loaded with 200kg odd?

Have they fitted a transmission cooler at all (does it have one standard that can have a larger unit plumbed in)?

Anything else to really consider?

Its looking more and more like I will end up with a Volvo, but I like to think I have some style and therefore looking elsewhere.

Thanks in advance

I am after a tow car to get me to and from rallies, but need something that can also double up as a daily driver.

My dad has a 2001 GS430 and I must say its a great car and averages about 27MPG overall (only added this due to reading other threads on MPG!).

Seeing the prices of older 300's it has made me consider the car but after searching for "tow" nothing came up.

Has anyone used them for towing 1400kg odd (trailer+car+tyres) whilst they are loaded with 200kg odd?

Have they fitted a transmission cooler at all (does it have one standard that can have a larger unit plumbed in)?

Anything else to really consider?

Its looking more and more like I will end up with a Volvo, but I like to think I have some style and therefore looking elsewhere.

Thanks in advance

From what I remember, the Mk1 Has a 1700kg towing limit, and the Mk2 has a 2000kg limit.

As for the oil cooler, it isn't really necessary for towing in this country's climate, only for desert driving :lol: , but it's ultimately down to you whether you had one fitted or not... all dealers and suppliers will tell you to have one - easy money innit!!! :winky:

From what I remember, the Mk1 Has a 1700kg towing limit, and the Mk2 has a 2000kg limit.

As for the oil cooler, it isn't really necessary for towing in this country's climate, only for desert driving :lol: , but it's ultimately down to you whether you had one fitted or not... all dealers and suppliers will tell you to have one - easy money innit!!! :winky:

The Mk1 has a very low towing limit for a car it's size (1200kg), especially when the Mk2 is 2000kg

I'm sure that when I enquired about this last year, I was advised to get an oil cooler as someone had experience of trashing an auto box by towing without one.

In the end I didn't bother as the towing limit was only slightly higher than my wife's little citroen and so we just used that.

The low towing limit I would guess is more that Lexus did not anticipate their target market to want to sling best part of two thousand kilo's of dirty rally kit on the back!

I merely saw the later as being 2k kg and thought it would apply to entire range.

It is looking more and more like my mind is being made up for me in terms of car selection.

(reason I asked about tranny coolers is the hi-lux surf is also Toyota and that NEEDS a cooler for the box if you have an auto!)

Hi,

I have recently part ex'ed a manual 2001 2.9 petrol Volvo S80 for a 2001 GS300. Like yourself I tow a caravan with a max weight of 1485kg. I talk to my local Lexus dealer and they suggested I needed a tow kit consisting of tranny cooler, larger radiator and towbar which when fitted would have cost 2k, if I had known this I would have brought the gs300. What I have done is fit an oil cooler which I sourced from Kenlowe for £100, I'm not changing the rad. but I've put some Wetter Water additive in the cooling system this helps lower engine temp. I hav'nt tried towing yet (I'm a summer caravanner) also waiting to have a towbar fitted,

a Brink detactable (£500 fitted )which is only towbar suitable other then a towbar from Lexus.

I'm enjoying the car, it's a far better car to drive than the Volvo but I'm only 19-23 mpg, 27 tops on a long motorway run.

Tranny cooler is built into the radiator...well, it is on mine anyway

That's also used to heat the trans oil in cold climates.

if your looking at fitting an aditional trans cooler try a local gearbox reconditioning company. I've fitted a few and they cost me £30 a time. You just cut into the oil lines to the radiator, usually only takes an hour start to finish.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links