Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Polystyrene/modelling Material?

I need a lump of polystyrene, about 300mm square, which I can then scuplt into a required shape and make a fiberglass mould off.

Anyone know of anything suitable, and where I can locate it?

cheers!

use expanding foam

get a box and fill it up

polyureathane foam!!

Thats the stuff, basicaly its the yellow foam used in the core of loft insulation, and is used on construction sites etc all over the country.

its availiable in thicknesses ranging from 10mm to 1000mm thick.

You can sculpt it with a knife then sand it with varying grades of sand paper and is very quick to use.

Have a look at building supply stores etc, normaly it has a silver paper layer either side of it, this also stops it snapping when your cutting it to size.

If you used polystyrene (expanded as polystyrene is what they make model kits from) the resin would melt right through!

Enjoy, also you will find it extremely messy, and the particles are rough so mask up and tape up the ends of your jumper etc so they dont go up your arm etc.

polyureathane foam!!

Thats the stuff, basicaly its the yellow foam used in the core of loft insulation, and is used on construction sites etc all over the country.

its availiable in thicknesses ranging from 10mm to 1000mm thick.

You can sculpt it with a knife then sand it with varying grades of sand paper and is very quick to use.

Have a look at building supply stores etc, normaly it has a silver paper layer either side of it, this also stops it snapping when your cutting it to size.

If you used polystyrene (expanded as polystyrene is what they make model kits from) the resin would melt right through!

Enjoy, also you will find it extremely messy, and the particles are rough so mask up and tape up the ends of your jumper etc so they dont go up your arm etc.

Thanks mate.

Luckily enough, I work on construction sites and am able to steal copious amounts of this stuff!

I've even got some in my shed actually, it's good stuff for lying down on when working on your car outside ;)

Will load up a couple of new sheets tomorrow and start playing. :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links