Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220d Versus E 220 Cdi

GiOldDog

Has anyone driven the new E 220 CDI ? If you have, please let me know your impressions. There are some people out there saying that the E class is a lot better motor than our IS. Well, looking at the spec, you can get as much as the IS offers, but at what price ? 5K to 6K more. I don't know if it is worth the difference. If anyone does, please let me know. :question::excl: :winky:

Has anyone driven the new E 220 CDI ? If you have, please let me know your impressions. There are some people out there saying that the E class is a lot better motor than our IS. Well, looking at the spec, you can get as much as the IS offers, but at what price ? 5K to 6K more. I don't know if it is worth the difference. If anyone does, please let me know. :question::excl: :winky:

Are you sure you mean E220 CDI and not C220 CDI? :blink:

Are you sure you mean E220 CDI and not C220 CDI? :blink:

:sick::angry: Yes, I am talking about the E220 CDI. The C220 CDI doesn't come anywhere near the new IS 220D. I have driven the C class many times and you just cannot compare the two. Add recent "reliability" and "dealership service" problems and it says it all. I was just wondering if anyone drove the E220 CDI. Just for comparison.

Yup - I did (both E and C). From a quality perspective the the E is almost as good as the IS in terms of fittings and fixtures, and yes it does drive extremely well. Not as hushed as the IS.

The C has one advantage - it has more space than the IS, the E is much bigger (everywhere), but the C is poorly built.

However, the merc has 2 achiles heels (!):

1) the engine - I drove a 54 plate E class and a brand new C - the engine would be better in a tractor - very agricultural. It's powerful enough, but very rattly - unbearable in my view on the inside with all doors and windows shut. When you accelerate you think it's gonna break - the 270 CDI is much better...and it is an "unbalanced" 5 pot, now replaced by a 3 litre?

2) Customer surveys - both languish at the bottom. The dealers have a "cannot care" attitude still.

The E is very desirable, but you're really comparing a GS rival not an IS rival...

The kit is sparse on both, but on the plus you can get £000's off discount on either, so the E (Classic) can come close to an IS SE-L price wise even with a few options....The preferred Elegance bumps the price up for not alot of kit.

The only other advantage is that the mercs can come as Auto's.

I've heard that a face lifted E class is due in juneish..this means that any current E's will be worth less and Dealers will be trying hard to sell them now, and an all new E is due earlier than planned - 2008.

Also, the C is being totally replaced next year!! So prepare to lose loads on whichever!!

I would say go for the c270cdi....as for price it is so much cheaper than the is.

If your gonna compare an e270 cdi with is for the same price you will get a much bigger car.

But on that note it depends what you will be usintg the car for.

If you are older than me so insurance cheaper...does that not matter.

how many miles you do?

size of family?

what type of driving you do?

whether you want to bit more individual or that doesnt bother you?

There are so many reasons why you choose over the cars.

:sick::angry: Yes, I am talking about the E220 CDI. The C220 CDI doesn't come anywhere near the new IS 220D. I have driven the C class many times and you just cannot compare the two. Add recent "reliability" and "dealership service" problems and it says it all. I was just wondering if anyone drove the E220 CDI. Just for comparison.

Sorry mate, as the others have said, the E-class isn't really a competitor for the IS, and therefore is unlikely to have a similar drive. Not personally driven the IS, but between the GS and the E-class, the GS was a better drive but the E-class was more comfortable.

However, the build quality of the E-class in my opinion was quite poor, the switches and all felt very flimsy, but the newer mercs are much better so hopefully they'll have fixed it when it gets facelifted

I would say go for the c270cdi....as for price it is so much cheaper than the is.

If your gonna compare an e270 cdi with is for the same price you will get a much bigger car.

But on that note it depends what you will be usintg the car for.

If you are older than me so insurance cheaper...does that not matter.

how many miles you do?

size of family?

what type of driving you do?

whether you want to bit more individual or that doesnt bother you?

There are so many reasons why you choose over the cars.

Yes, you are quite right, I guess. The E class is a direct competitor to the GS. But I still think that no german car comes close to any Lexus from a quality and built point of view. Just to answer your questions: Insurance wise, average age and probably average insurance. Miles, yes I do nearly 25K/year (A13 mainly). Family size, 4. I am actualy going to see and test drive the new RAV4 (T180, top of the range) which has got the same diesel engine, 2.2 L, and aparently is a much better car than the previous model from many points of view. I shall see tomorrow. It might just turn that is the car I just need. It does almost 40 miles/galon on a combined cicle, which is not too bad at all for the size. Well, I will let you know. :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links