Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Commonwealth Games

tdiplc

Was wondering what you guys thought of the games.

Half of me thinks that it's essential training for the Olympics, and the other thinks it's a pointless waste of resources. Does anyone even remember who won a Gold at the last Commonwealth games?

Do you have any thoughts on this or are your thoughts even a waste of time?

I think that they're quite important in the world of athletics. No offence to athletes of all disciplines, but athletics is just not that exciting to watch. Because the Commonwealth GAmes thrusts sports otherwise not given much TV coverage into the limelight it is good for sport diversity.

They're just a bigger and wider version of the athletics at Crystal Palace which also seems a waste of TV coverage time. But if this means that more money goes to athletes (through sponsordhip deals etc.) for their Olympic training, then it can't be a bad thing.

Just a sports day for all the countries we murdered, raped and pillaged.

Its a bit of fun, I dont think of sportsmen as highly as I do other people, as Im certainly never going to call a sportsmen a heroe (I just dont see how they can be).

Just a sports day for all the countries we murdered, raped and pillaged.

Not entirely fair, but I take your point.

I like the idea of the Games being a sportsday, perhaps the introduction of an egg and spoon race would liven things up! :P

its one way of keeping commonwealth countries in touch

part of tradition, i suppose

and by cutting out the bigger contenders gives the likes of us a chance

whats the point ?

well why does it need a point, most things in life are pointless, but it gives some people pleasure, gives some people a goal and an inspiration

think about the uk football league ...whats the point of that

much of the sameness

car modification ......whats the point of it all :lol::lol:

No it is not pointless...It enables athletes to test their ability against others from other countries.........Remember there are 71 countries competing in these games not only do they share a common goal of trying to win. not only for themselves but also for their country. Many friendships are formed by these athletes, ideas exchanged and so on.

Many of the smaller commonwealth nations have next to no chance in the Olympics because of the might of USA, China and the former eastern block, but put them into the commonwealth games, different story.

Bit like our LOC bowling meet last July, but on a slightly larger scale :D

Must admit I haven't watched a whole load of the games.......but

For all who have participated (and most of us who have watched), it's priceless. In just how many other international competitions can nations like Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Turks & Caicos & Vanuatu compete against each other?

And how many of you ever realised that Cameroon and Mozambique were actually members of the Commonwealth? - Despite that their respective Colonial masters were Germany and Portugal, repectively.

Well done for great organization by the Aussies and a great show by all the competitors! :D

I think if you think its just a practice you dont deal with any sports at all!

This is like saying the premiership is just practice for the world cup?

It depends on the particular sport as to wether the olympic is actually of any relevance anyway EG boxing.

To be in the commonwealth games you can be part of the commonwealth, colonies or dependant or associated countries of a commonwealth country.

look here for commonwealth countries

http://www.thecommonwealth.org/Templates/I...entNodeID=20596

I think if you think its just a practice you dont deal with any sports at all!

This is like saying the premiership is just practice for the world cup?

It depends on the particular sport as to wether the olympic is actually of any relevance anyway EG boxing.

To be in the commonwealth games you can be part of the commonwealth, colonies or dependant or associated countries of a commonwealth country.

look here for commonwealth countries

http://www.thecommonwealth.org/Templates/I...entNodeID=20596

Woah, slow down! Mind you I thought the Premiership was a practice for the world cup... :duh: Nowadys it's all about commercial aspects, money etc (but then so's everything else :duh: )

It was good to see the other "smaller" nations win medals though!

You're right - I don't "deal" with any Sport - even Cricket can be fixed!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links