Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,Newbie here

Just brought a 98 gs300 mk2 with 110k on the clock. Love the car but find it a bit jiggly on the road,previous car was a saab with quite a firm ride.Since having the gs300 i have been getting back pain (sob story)I was wondering if perhaps new shocks might firm up the ride a bit and offer me a bit more comfortable drive. Have any of you guys fitted new shocks and at what mileage would you say they should be replaced, i suppose at 110k there's a fair chance the original shocks are a tad worn. I have seen some gas shocks in the US kyb gy-2 , anybody tried these, any help advise most welcome.

Redlex.

In general, there is no fixed interval for replacing shocks, unless they are leaking. An easy check for worn shocks is to push down hard on each corner of the car and see how many times the car bounces up and down.

Have you checked the tracking? It's highly likely that your suspension bushes are worn significantly worn, given your mileage. Replacing these bushes at this point in time is likely to firm up your ride to factory standards.

See my response earlier to the "knocking noise" post, as that will help you. Get the car's suspension checked out thoroughly.

I replaced all the shocks on my 98 MkII at 98K, mainly as there were problems with uneven tyre wear. My friend who did the work said that when he checked them after removal, only one of the shocks was in need of replacing. The replacement shocks were KYB's. The ride is now marginally firmer which is not what I personally wanted. I'm not sure that new shocks will solve the 'jiggly' ride problem as this may be a 'feature' of the GS, others may be able to comment.

Yes the GS doesn't ride that well for the type of car it is. New shocks probably won't fix the issue unless you go for a complete new coilover springs/shocks replacement.

You should be able to improve things by altering the wheel geometry by somebody who really knows what they are doing.

Yes the GS doesn't ride that well for the type of car it is. New shocks probably won't fix the issue unless you go for a complete new coilover springs/shocks replacement.

You should be able to improve things by altering the wheel geometry by somebody who really knows what they are doing.

Thanks to all who have replied,perhaps I am used to a firmer ride having driven alfa's lancia's and recently saab's. To me the car seems stuck between firm and soft ride if you know what i mean, not quite either really.A mate of mine suggested a beefier antiroll bar both back and front to firm things up a bit but I have no idea if this would help or indeed if you could get such parts. Another option maybe going from stock 16 wheels to 18, less rubber less bounce theory. This maybe the option for me to take perhaps try some 2nd hand wheels.I did this with my saab convertible from 15 to 16 because the original wheels were naff and it firmed up the ride quite a bit although this was not the original intention.Any of you lads got bigger wheels on your gs?.I think the wheel geometry option is a must anyway as the inside edge of the front tyres are wearing and having read most threads on the forum it seems everyone seems to get this problem. Any idea's were in the midlands I can get this done to a good standard?

I think the wheel geometry option is a must anyway as the inside edge of the front tyres are wearing and having read most threads on the forum it seems everyone seems to get this problem. Any idea's were in the midlands I can get this done to a good standard?

Try Nottingham Car 4 Wheel Alignment Centre, 0115 9599144. I've taken cars there a few times and they know their stuff.

LINKY

I think the wheel geometry option is a must anyway as the inside edge of the front tyres are wearing and having read most threads on the forum it seems everyone seems to get this problem. Any idea's were in the midlands I can get this done to a good standard?

Try Nottingham Car 4 Wheel Alignment Centre, 0115 9599144. I've taken cars there a few times and they know their stuff.

LINKY

Cheers Mr Morse, I will give them a tinkle, not to far from me

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links