Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Is Cloth Seats?

Hello there,

I think I'm a couple of months (or possibly weeks, if I can't resist the temptation!) from ordering an IS.

Does anyone know if the cloth seats in the standard model are any different to the other models (bar the actual material and the electrics)? I saw a comment somewhere that the leather seats had more bolstering.

Many thanks!

I had the same dilemma: Ordered a base and then "upped" it to SE, primarily for the seat/comfort. You really have to compare them yourself.

The cloth is "shiny", and "embroidered". Almost "fine suede". I was worried about how it would wear, and in the demo it was getting stretched in the back base of the squab and "rippling". The leather is definately more comfortable, and is better bolstored around the higher back. You also get Lumbar adjustment and heating/vents.

The leather seat is better all round...

£3g is a lot to pay for the base to SE upgrade, but I think on balance it's worth it. It's such a shame there is no options on the base trim (i.e. electric, lumbar etc).

PS - you probably know this, but you also get 17" wheels that fill the arches better :)

Interesting points, thanks Jamboo!

Do you know if the cloth seats are the same size and shape, apart from the lumbar adjustment?

The dilemma I'm having is that the other half is somewhat anti-leather (being as she is a militant vegetarian!), I either go with the base model (and perhaps treat myself to the MM pack) or go all the way to a Sport with the Cellensia seating (which I thought didn't appear very hard-wearing, and certainly prone to marks in the grubby showroom car I sat in!).

The dilemma I'm having is that the other half is somewhat anti-leather (being as she is a militant vegetarian!),

I'd order the SE and tell the other half they are imitation leather ;)

:lol: You know the thought had crossed my mind once or twice!

The dilemma I'm having is that the other half is somewhat anti-leather (being as she is a militant vegetarian!)

If it is any consolation to your other half, cattle are killed for their meat rather than their hides, the leather is a "by-product".

Back on-topic - the quality of the leather is superb!!!!

The dilemma I'm having is that the other half is somewhat anti-leather (being as she is a militant vegetarian!)

Does she wear leather shoes?

Nope, she doesn't! Unfortunately, there's no loophole to getting round the no leather seats rule! So, I'm back to deciding whether the cloth seats will be good enough, or if I should go for the Cellensia.

I don't suppose anyone has any pictures of the cloth seats do they?? I couldn't see anything in the gallery section.

Interesting points, thanks Jamboo!

Do you know if the cloth seats are the same size and shape, apart from the lumbar adjustment?

The dilemma I'm having is that the other half is somewhat anti-leather (being as she is a militant vegetarian!), I either go with the base model (and perhaps treat myself to the MM pack) or go all the way to a Sport with the Cellensia seating (which I thought didn't appear very hard-wearing, and certainly prone to marks in the grubby showroom car I sat in!).

I am a vege too, but my religion allows me this luxury... :whistling: . The seats feel different when you sit in them. You feel as if you sit "on" the base seat, and "in" the leather seat at the base of the spine. Other than that it feels similar (except the bolstoring which I think is a little better on the Leather).

I bet the one in showroom had a lighter Escaine and those grubby jeans from grubby people left grubby marks...hence I would say stick with a dark colour...especially if you have kids... :blush:

Romaro. Here in Oz, our base model and the Sports Luxury come with Leather. Our Sports model comes with Alcantara fabric. It is a suede like fabric developed by the Italians (about 30 years ago) and used in a lot of the more expensive sports cars.

It is supposed to be more durable than leather and easier to clean as well as holding it's shape better. Hence the reason why Lexus is using it in the Sports model.

So, if they offer it as an option over there, it may be the way to go to keep the wife happy and give you the luxury the rest of us new IS drivers have been experiencing. Good luck. :)

On the other hand, the Ventilation feature (which is not available in the Escaine) is fantastic...

Whereas on the SE you get e/seats, they have no memory function, the Sport does (I still think e/seats without memory makes them slow and gimmicky...just pull a ratchet to get them where you want...)

Ride quality is OK in the base 16", slightly firm in the 17" and no doubt firmer still in the Sport with both Wheels at 18" and a sporty suspension, so you've got to try 'em yourself!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links