Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Update On My Lpg Problem

genius149

Took the car into Lexus Canterbury last week, and they 'thought' that it was due to an exhaust valve burnt out.

The car had started pinking like mad when running on LPG but just misfired on petrol (still a lot smoother than most cars :P ).

Luckily, thanks to the fantastic Dangerous Brain (and his awesome Aristo), I've managed to source a secondhand head for a lot less than the £3,400 that Lexus actually quoted me (the service manager thought he had better look up the price just incase :ohmy: ). All that remains now is to pick up the head, a gasket set, a Flashlube kit :tomato: and then screwing it all back together.

• 2 weeks later...
Good luck,sounds like theres alot of work ahead of you..Be interesting to see how much damage there is to the valves?

chips..

:duh: Have just spoken to the engineers who have stripped the head down, and they were surprised to find that the valves were all OK. They are going to do some investigative work and make sure that the valve seats and everything is all good, but they think that the main problem could be one of two things:

1) Spark plug #6 was seized in the head. If it is then then it is a :tsktsk: expensive spark plug :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

2) There is a problem 'lower down' with the pistons. They are going to pour some liquid on top of the pistons to see how long it takes to drain. :whistling: Either way I have another few car-free days :angry:

Got the car back today!!! :D

They weren't sure if there was any problem with the head, so they skimmed it, and re-cut all the valve seats. the spark plugs weren't in the best of health so they replaced those, along with the cam belt as it was a simple job to replace it. They also fitted my flashlube system for me.

With Labour, parts and the dreaded VAT it all came to a fraction over £750 which is either a) bloody good value considering the work done and the fact that the car is pretty worry free for a good while, or B) a bloody expensive set of spark plugs!

I'll choose a) as they kept the price as low as poss for me and they came highly recommended and probably could've ripped me off big time if they wanted. B)

Got the car back today!!! :D

They weren't sure if there was any problem with the head, so they skimmed it, and re-cut all the valve seats. the spark plugs weren't in the best of health so they replaced those, along with the cam belt as it was a simple job to replace it. They also fitted my flashlube system for me.

With Labour, parts and the dreaded VAT it all came to a fraction over £750 which is either a) bloody good value considering the work done and the fact that the car is pretty worry free for a good while, or B) a bloody expensive set of spark plugs!

I'll choose a) as they kept the price as low as poss for me and they came highly recommended and probably could've ripped me off big time if they wanted. B)

And the name of this fine establishment...?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links