Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys, I hope that someone can help me out with this problem.

I have had a Check Engine light combined with a Check VCS warning twice in the last couple of weeks just after starting a journey, about 1/2-3/4 miles in, on my 98LS that's done 74k. The engine still idles at about 900rpm (my 'normal' cold idle speed), but does not have any power once I try to accelerate away and the engine dies. The idle seems smooth and there is no missfire or anything that rings any alarm bells.

I have managed to restart on both occassions and the car has run faultlessly for the rest of the journey - no stutters, good acceleration, no hint of the problem recurring.

I wondered if this could possibly be a Battery problem? - on the first occassion it was a very cold morning and I probably had the lights, rear window and radio on. Tonight I had the lights on and it happened at exactly the same time that I turned the radio on - I got a sound from the CD player and then the check engine light came on. I haven't had any starting/re-starting issues though.

Could the VCS warning be a red herring? - I have read elsewhere that the VCS system automatically disables when the Check Engine light appears?

Obviously I will have to get any codes read and have a trip to the dealer, but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - Probably completely unrelated, but my washer bottle level light seems to be continually on at the moment despite the reservoir being nearly full! Don't they say that these things normally come in threes... :crying:

• 1 month later...

Can't help on the CEL, best to get the fault codes read.

I think you will find you have 2 washer bottles IIRC from some other posts on here.

Can't help on the CEL, best to get the fault codes read.

I think you will find you have 2 washer bottles IIRC from some other posts on here.

I think Chris Vince has found the solution to the washer bottle warning light. He posted it recently apparently there is a level sensor on the bottle that gives a false reading and if I remember he gave it a tap and it worked ( sorry cannot find the exact post )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links