Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Question

hi, after driving a VW golf TDI for two years i finally have saved up enough for a lexus IS200, now its great to see all the fantastic cars people have on here it really is but the lexus's i will be looking to buy are going to have higher mileage (70k+) and be a few years old.

i would like advice from lexus owners, will i be wasting my money? do lexus engines last with care and attention? what kind of things should i look for? which is the best IS200 model? etc etc

thanks in advance for all responses, all help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to LOC :D

First thing to do is have a look in these links....

Things to watch out for....

Spec sheet....

Then basically the rest depends on what you want..ie do you like a sporty type or more comfy cruiser.....

Popular colours will cost a bit more ... but will be easier to sell too...

lots more info on this site.... you will have to search though, but worth it !

Oh one negative... coming from a Golf TDi don't expect good fuel economy....

any specific questions just post them up......

:)

engines are quality and will last, mines nearly done 100k on a t plate and so far has been fautless (touch wood), other that usual tyres, brakes etc.

as long as its got good service history, and do some research you will be fine.

many thanks, just the kind of things i want to hear, i used to do 100miles per day, hence the TDI but now im lucky if i do ten a week!!! so wanting the lexus as its my dream car.

cheers noel and dan

i do have another quick question, i see a few people on here drive altezza's im assuming this is the import?

whats the pro's and con's of driving an import car?

apologies if these answers have been posted a million times already.

The imported Altezza, assuming you get the RS200 will be quicker than the standard IS200

Std IS200 is 153bhp

Std RS200 is 210bhp

IS is inline 6

Where as the RS200 is a four pot ...............

Horses for courses :D

If your going to be happy with 153 bhp then go for the IS200,....... but an IS200 needs a supercharger to get it up to a standard RS200.... superchargers ain't free...... so choose wisely!

true true....

looking through the history of this site there are some quality hints n tips, the blue dash conversion looks class. my final choice was a lexus or an audi A3 1.8T but lexus is miles ahead now after looking on this site.

^^^^ or is it?

im searching through the threads from last to first.... im up to page 218, there seems to be a worrying amount of faults, wheels,easily stone chipped,dodgy gearboxes etc etc

^^^^ or is it?

im searching through the threads from last to first.... im up to page 218, there seems to be a worrying amount of faults, wheels,easily stone chipped,dodgy gearboxes etc etc

in all honesty mate non of the faults are major, but if you want one just keep an eye out for these things, as your buying second hand, chances are warrenty will be probs be gone if your looking for higher milage ones. Check that such things have been replaced under warrenty..

I too when choosing my car was looking at either the A3 or the IS, and im so glad i picked the IS. I cant think of another car in its class where you can get the quality and amount of kit for the type of budget your looking for.

good stuff, yes i will thoroughly check the areas mentioned before i purchase. the other thing putting me off about the audi is its just basically a golf.... and vw's and audis seem to be the new chav car up here. stick some 18's on and a few stickers and hey presto. whereas a lex looks so much classier.

lexus it is! i swear, thanks for all advice. now back to the forum history! im up to page 199.........lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links