Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Management Light On

Hi Guys

I've got a 2002 IS Sport which has done 37k miles! Last night took a Type -R on and as i pushed down the accelerator in 3rd gear the engine managment light started to flash! :unsure:

I have rest the ECU and light went of but is back on again - its keeps flashing, then lits up, goes off and same again!

AA came and diogonised that the cylinders are apparently missfiring! Any ideas, clues, solutions or suggstin would bemost welcome.

Also the car jutters when idling at traffic lights and kind off shakes a bit, as if its going to go off but it doesn't.

Thirdly, sorry for the daft question, but what is a "piggyback ECU" and who are TTE?

Thanks

dont wish to offend people but why dont you let your fingers do the work and type tte and pigyback ecu into google you will find the answers u need.

Fluffy - we have not all got are fingers glued to the keyboard as some of us half a life too! Maybe you should start telling people what to do at "speechers Corner" in Hyde Park every Saturday? thnk it'll suit your style :lol:

if you have time to type "what is ................ " then u have time to search i am sure.

Speechers corner yes maybe.... think my first topic will be " why are more and more people lazy to try find answers themselves" :P

Hi Alex,

The same thing happened to my IS 200 a couple of weeks back.

It will probably need new coil packs that are about £90 each from Lexus.

You will need a new coil for each misfiring cylinder.

Also, change your spark plugs just to be on the safe side.

Regards

Chris

Hi Alex,

The same thing happened to my IS 200 a couple of weeks back.

It will probably need new coil packs that are about £90 each from Lexus.

You will need a new coil for each misfiring cylinder.

Also, change your spark plugs just to be on the safe side.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Cheers for sheding some light on the issue. I took it ino a garage and booked it in for tomorrow. £90 each for a coil pack -that's exortion! For future reference you can buy them of eBay.

Will this resolve the problm with the car shaking/juttering when in idle mode as if it was to cut off?

Regards,

Alex

You can get them from Chris S. on this forum for £65 each....

best to check if it is actually the coil packs before you buy...

Have a look here on how to diagnose coil pack issue....

Coilpack problem

:winky:

Strange thing is... My coil pack was definitly blown but i'd didn't have any warnings lights displayed? :unsure:

best to check if it is actually the coil packs before you buy...

Have a look here on how to diagnose coil pack issue....

Coilpack problem

:winky:

Strange thing is... My coil pack was definitly blown but i'd didn't have any warnings lights displayed? :unsure:

cheers mate. Apparantly 3 coils need replacing so car shoul be ready tomorrow. Shoul I ask them to replace the spark plugs while they are at it - perhaps a new set of IK20 or IK22? the car is n IS200 sport with no modifications, which woul suit better the ik2 or the ik22?

How does a car manage to wipe out three coilpacks in one go? :blink:

Good question! I had AA dagonise the error and they said 3 cylinders where misfiring and that's what the garage said too! There was also an error code which said "random cylinder misfire detected"! Its only don 37k miles and was service by lexus @ 30k so not very happy. They just quoted me £360 for an early £40k service and they won't even change the plugs!

Good question! I had AA dagonise the error and they said 3 cylinders where misfiring and that's what the garage said too! There was also an error code which said "random cylinder misfire detected"! Its only don 37k miles and was service by lexus @ 30k so not very happy. They just quoted me £360 for an early £40k service and they won't even change the plugs!

Did they tell you which packs were missfiring ? also did they switch them around with the working ones to see if it really is the coil packs ?...... very easy thing for them to do!

Did they tell you which packs were missfiring ? also did they switch them around with the working ones to see if it really is the coil packs ?...... very easy thing for them to do!

Thanks all. They just plugged the comp into the car, read the error codes and replaced the parts! Your comments were most helpful. Got the car ack today having spent £300 for 3 coils :tsktsk: Car runs fine and I finally have a bit of acceleration, however, when idling, the revs still go down slightly and they go up when i turn the sterring wheel in eitherdirection before settling down below 1000 revs! There is asolutely o shake as before - Is this normal?

Gidday from New Zealand,

Absolutely normal for the revs to rise from idleat times. If you put strain on the engine (turn steering wheel, switch air con on, even turn headlights on) the engine management system will automatically compensate by raising the revs slightly. So yeah, don't panic :-)

Good luck, hope you don't have any other negative experiences.

Cheers,

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...

hey i seem to be going through the same thing at the moment, anyone know why it seems to be three coil packs at once that go?

is this still the case? if so how can i get in contact with him?

thanks for the help :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links