Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Used Is200 Info

Hi,

I've just finished university and I'm looking to replace my tired old '95 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 sport (150,000 miles on the clock!) with something a little more grown up and refined. I'm looking to spend in the region of £5,000-£7,000 and was initially looking for an Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 T-Spark, 2.5 V6 or a GTA, but after some careful consideration, I think that build quality and reliability may be an issue in the future.

I can't really afford to stretch to a 3-series (A bit too brash and obvious, anyway), Mercs are for old people the Audi A4 is still a contender, but most in my price range are tired, high mileage repmobiles.

So, I'm here looking for more info about the Lexus IS200, but I have some questions:

1). Is the 'SPORT' with it's limited slip differential worth paying extra for, over the SE?

2). Direct-Line quoted me £426 Fully Comp for a 2001 IS200 SPORT 2.0, but I noticed that on the engine options that there is an S/Charger version, Which comes out at £630 F/C?? I can't find any info about a Supercharged version, only aftermarket supercharger kits?? But why would a mainstream insurance company put S/Charger on it's list if it's an aftermarket modification? There's no S/Charger option for my Astra for instance??

3). The Supercharger kit costs around £3,000, but I only want to spend around £6,000 on the WHOLE car, the performance of the IS200 seems a little weedy compared to the Alfas that I was considering, is there a worthwhile and cheaper way to noticeably boost performance a bit without killing reliability and fuel economy too much?

4). Since a Lexus is basically a Toyota, will getting it serviced at a Toyota dealership instead of a Lexus dealer be ok? both in terms of resale value, price and ability of the service dept.? The nearest Lexus dealer is over an hour away (on a good day) but I have a Toyota dealership half a mile down the road?

5). Is there anything specific that is worthwhile checking/avoiding when buying an IS200?? (Other than the usual car buying rules)

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Hi,

I've just finished university and I'm looking to replace my tired old '95 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 sport (150,000 miles on the clock!) with something a little more grown up and refined. I'm looking to spend in the region of £5,000-£7,000 and was initially looking for an Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 T-Spark, 2.5 V6 or a GTA, but after some careful consideration, I think that build quality and reliability may be an issue in the future.

I can't really afford to stretch to a 3-series (A bit too brash and obvious, anyway), Mercs are for old people the Audi A4 is still a contender, but most in my price range are tired, high mileage repmobiles.

So, I'm here looking for more info about the Lexus IS200, but I have some questions:

1). Is the 'SPORT' with it's limited slip differential worth paying extra for, over the SE?

There isnt much difference between the sport and SE mainly cosmetic, Sport has a rear boot lip drilled pedals etc. In addition to the LSD it is slightly lowered. If you can get a sport you may as well (im biased though) but there isnt that much difference.

2). Direct-Line quoted me £426 Fully Comp for a 2001 IS200 SPORT 2.0, but I noticed that on the engine options that there is an S/Charger version, Which comes out at £630 F/C?? I can't find any info about a Supercharged version, only aftermarket supercharger kits?? But why would a mainstream insurance company put S/Charger on it's list if it's an aftermarket modification? There's no S/Charger option for my Astra for instance??

No sure about this one, there isnt a superchrged version as far as i know but most on here have an after market kit. If you want the lex with the power of the supercharger look for the import version which is the "toyota Altezza RS200". this is more or less the same car with a more powerful engine 2.0l engine in, 210bhp i think. Im not very technical but others will be along to help.

3). The Supercharger kit costs around £3,000, but I only want to spend around £6,000 on the WHOLE car, the performance of the IS200 seems a little weedy compared to the Alfas that I was considering, is there a worthwhile and cheaper way to noticeably boost performance a bit without killing reliability and fuel economy too much?

get an Altezza is extra power is a must or the IS300, doubt the budget

4). Since a Lexus is basically a Toyota, will getting it serviced at a Toyota dealership instead of a Lexus dealer be ok? both in terms of resale value, price and ability of the service dept.? The nearest Lexus dealer is over an hour away (on a good day) but I have a Toyota dealership half a mile down the road?

Think you can, my local lexus dealers sends me to toyota garage accross the rd, lol

5). Is there anything specific that is worthwhile checking/avoiding when buying an IS200?? (Other than the usual car buying rules)

Allys for corrosion, paintwork prone to chipping, if looking at one over 100k make sure cam belt has been changed. Its a VERY relaiable car, so theres not major mechanical problems as far as im aware.

Sorry for the long post,

hope that helps, i know very little so others will be along to help!

get the IS, its a fine car! i too when igot my car just under a year ago was toying between the IS and A4, glad i chose IS, and i cant see me owning anyting else but a lex in the future.

think Dan has covered most things,but there is a buying guide.If you use the search facility,alot of info on buying an IS.I have probs with squeaky driver seatbelt stalks in both my IS200s,and also wheel corrosion on both.ERR3 on the stereo,drives me mad.

Hi,

Down to individual preferance. It's -15mm lower, has the LSD and rear tints plus a few other goodies.

No such think as a standard IS with a supercharger although many have fitted them fo an extra 50bhp.

The IS200 does have poor performance for a 2 litre straight-6 at 153bhp. Other options are the (import) Toyota Altezza RS200 2 litre 4 cylinder 210bhp or the IS300 3 litre straight-6 211bhp. If you're comparing reliability and build quality the Lexus wins by a hundred miles

Should not be a problem since the Lexus is made with Toyota parts.

There is a guide what to look for in the knowledgebase section

Sorry for the long post,

think Dan has covered most things,but there is a buying guide.If you use the search facility,alot of info on buying an IS.I have probs with squeaky driver seatbelt stalks in both my IS200s,and also wheel corrosion on both.ERR3 on the stereo,drives me mad.

WD-40 cured my mate. I only had one side doing it.

Thanks for the replies, that helps a lot but raises a couple more questions..

I've looked on Autotrader for a Toyota Altezza and there seems to be some listed as

'Toyota Altezza RS200-Z'... Is there more than one performance spec of Altezza, or are they all the same?

Also, I can't find the Altezza listed on the Directline car list, I'm guessing that most insurance companies don't like imports? Which insurance companies are best for this type of car? How much more expensive would an Altezza be to insure over a UK spec IS200 (on average)

Would it be cheaper to insure a modified IS200 over an imported Altezza?

If the Altezza is basically a tuned up IS200, then is it possible to tune an IS200 to Altezza spec using a chip and maybe imported stock Altezza components (camshafts, etc etc) or would the cost of this outweigh the benefits?...Not that i'm a performance freak and I know that 0-60 isn't the true measure of a cars performance but the 0-60 time of 9.5 sec is the same as my current car, and I would have liked something a bit quicker...

Also, what should I do if a car has wheel corrosion? walk away? or is there a cost effective way to get it fixed/prevented?

Thanks again!

snoopy your best bet is to get an IS200 sport add a TTE supercharger(most members including myself use this reliable piece of kit)car increases from 152-205 BHP.The quote you got from directline with regards Lexus/supercharger is the premium for a driver with the aforementioned aftermarket charger(which BTW was designed by TTE for the IS).That takes 2.2 secs of your 9.5sec 0-60.Not bad for £2200 add on price to your 5-7 grand budget.BTW you would be better off getting a cupra.I was in my mates today and its wicked fast

snoopy your best bet is to get an IS200 sport add a TTE supercharger(most members including myself use this reliable piece of kit)car increases from 152-205 BHP.The quote you got from directline with regards Lexus/supercharger is the premium for a driver with the aforementioned aftermarket charger(which BTW was designed by TTE for the IS).That takes 2.2 secs of your 9.5sec 0-60.Not bad for £2200 add on price to your 5-7 grand budget.BTW you would be better off getting a cupra.I was in my mates today and its wicked fast

Its actually 153bhp to 205bhp(i think) :D

My sentiments exactly, dont get a lexus if you are expecting extreme speed unless you are prepared to spend some cash.

It would actually be in the region of £3000 on top of his price including fitting etc.

£3000 would get you another car that is quicker.

Its actually 153bhp to 205bhp(i think) :D

My sentiments exactly, dont get a lexus if you are expecting extreme speed unless you are prepared to spend some cash.

It would actually be in the region of £3000 on top of his price including fitting etc.

£3000 would get you another car that is quicker.

Think you might find it doesn't give you 205bhp. More around the 200bhp probably even slightly less :winky:

The standard IS S/C was released as a TTE car on the continent, hence why some insurers have it in the list.

Anyways I think you'd be better off getting a 3 series or an A4, lexus are rubbish ;)

The official TTE figure increase was +50bhp, no?

More of an estimate than a guaranteed figure. But even if it was 153 + 50 = 203

33% increase = 51bhp therefore (153+ 51)= 204 :lol:

The standard IS S/C was released as a TTE car on the continent, hence why some insurers have it in the list.

Anyways I think you'd be better off getting a 3 series or an A4, lexus are rubbish ;)

But surely you'll also have to buy some of dem uprated injectors......and one of dem unseen manifolds and some other unseen $hit?

And then go and get an unseen dyno :whistling:

33% still approx.

Looky looky looky Have to read though alot of BS but all info is indeed there :D

But surely you'll also have to buy some of dem uprated injectors......and one of dem unseen manifolds and some other unseen $hit?

And then go and get an unseen dyno :whistling:

I dont think so

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links