Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clatter When I Drive Over Bumps

I have a 21,000 mile rx 300. only had it about 3 weeks but for the last few days, every time i drive over a manhole cover or shallow hole i get a clatter sounding like metal plates hitting each other. it doesn't happen when i drive over speed bumps etc, only things like manhole covers. the noise comes from the drivers side front wheel area. i've had a look and can't see anything obvious. any ideas?

also the belts sqeak like a B****r. it's only 3 years old, surely they don't need changing!

cheers

Get it on a ramp..

Some cars have sheilds under the car, heat shields or mud shields.... if a stone or rock gets under or over them it just rattles and clacks! can drive u insane looking for the problem! Happened to a friend of mine so worth checking if it isn;t something as silly as that.

Get it on a ramp..

Some cars have sheilds under the car, heat shields or mud shields.... if a stone or rock gets under or over them it just rattles and clacks! can drive u insane looking for the problem! Happened to a friend of mine so worth checking if it isn;t something as silly as that.

anti rattle springs on the brake pads? drive one wheel over a bump with the windows down and listen then the other side the next time that way you can at least narrow down what side it is. Loose brake pads make a right racket. You could try gently applying the brakes when you go over a bump too to see if that gets rid of it you will definately know where it comes from then

I agree with the last post.

The noise from both my front hubs/wheels was driving me loopy. I had all four sets of pads changed last week and now its cured....... Its like driving a new car!

I also found that my front grill was rattling over some bumps so it might be worth checking that as well!

SJT

cheers for the help, the brake pad anti-rattle sound about right, it does stop with my foot on the brake. she goes into the garage on the warrenty on Monday to get it all sorted hopefully. will let you know next week! :D

Exactly as I had on mine. Frightening at first: noticed it when using rough country roads with window open. Sounded like loose wheel nuts rattling in a metal hob cap - only RX doesn't have hub caps! But it was the brakes. Sorted by dealer.

:yawn: well, another trip to the garage coming up. got the belt sorted but the mechanic couldn't hear the clatter from the brake. showed the salesman where the problem was and low and behold, a plate hanging out of the brake disc, don't quite know where the mechanic was looking, stuck out like a sore thumb. think it is the brakes now but can't get to the garage for a couple of weeks. :tsktsk: is it dangerous?

Depends what you mean by a plate. In my case, the rattle was also caused by a thin metal clip (about 2cms long) which fitted at one end of the brake pad. A retaining lug on the clip had broken, leaving the clip to rattle about. Indeed, I was able to lift it out. I too was worried about safety, and rang my dealer, who explained the function of the clip [which I've forgotten!]. It wasn't a safety issue. so it was ok to drive until they fixed it. Had to replace all 4 clips (I think) on the wheel involved, at a silly price.

Can look up details later (not at home now).

sounds exactly the same problem and same little plate, at least i won't have to pay for it as it is on my warrenty :D

some perks for buying from a dealer, even if some of their TECHNICIANS don't know their A**e from their elbows. :P

to be fair i reckon that they probably put an apprentice on it as they hoped it would be something loose.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links